Drum & Bass I have some questions that are bothering me

Discussion in 'Production' started by AlienWeapon, Oct 23, 2013.

1. AlienWeapon

AlienWeapon Member

Being a newbie to production and in particular dnb I have some questions that need putting to rest. Firstly, is it considered bad practice to use two different sounding drum parts for different sections In the same song? By that I mean I have a main beat I have put down then elsewhere in the track I have a drumloop that doesn't use the same fundamental drum sounds/samples as my main beat. So it sounds different.

My second question is,
    When eqing the bass and sub bass to mix together nicely how do I know where is the best place to cut the bass so it doesn't interfere with my sub? I am using fruity parametric eq 2. What frequencys, dbs etc.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

2. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

from what i gather your using pre-made loops - 2 of them.. i personally building my own but there is nothing wrong however there is when thew song is no longer coherent.. I would take the first loop cut up and rearrange to that of the second therefore you have your breakdown but the tune still has coherency .

while the best is to see where the peaks are in the 2 basses and cut from there so they layer onto one another...

generally speaking sub no higher than 100, bass no lower than 100... generally... there are no rules

3. JReilly

JReilly Member

4. AlienWeapon

AlienWeapon Member

I see what you mean about it being depending on the music, perhaps someone could have a listen to my track so you can hear what i mean about the different drum parts. Its my first serious attempt at a dnb track, its not finished but i am my own worst critic so yeh, honest feedback much appreciated.:)https://soundcloud.com/8-bitheroes/the-snuffaluffagus-returns