I have a problem

Dark Lizardro

The Lizard that used to have a hammer
VIP Junglist
Hey there, guys! How's everyone doing?

So, I have a bit of creative problem with a song I'm working: it's a chillstep tune, that follows a major scale until the breakdown, then it starts a natural minor scale. Problem is: on the chorus after the breakdown, I want it to go from the natural minor to the major scale again, but the transition is pretty fucked up. If I simply jump from a minor to a major, it become too harsh for a chillstep song. Any ideas on how can I make this transition?

I know it's a difficult task for you, as I'm not posting any example here, but I'm at work now. I'll upload a wip as soon as I get home today.

Thanks!

Hey there, guys! How's everyone doing?

So, I have a bit of creative problem with a song I'm working: it's a chillstep tune, that follows a major scale until the breakdown, then it starts a natural minor scale. Problem is: on the chorus after the breakdown, I want it to go from the natural minor to the major scale again, but the transition is pretty fucked up. If I simply jump from a minor to a major, it become too harsh for a chillstep song. Any ideas on how can I make this transition?

I know it's a difficult task for you, as I'm not posting any example here, but I'm at work now. I'll upload a wip as soon as I get home today.

Thanks!

GHEEEEYYY

Ha i duno man im just busting your balls and really dislike the chillstep tag lol.

To be honest I can't answer your question accurately for shit but after a quick search I believe you need to find whats known as a Pivot Chord/Note to make the transition smoother. This is all subjective to what scale you're actually using?

Ha i duno man im just busting your balls and really dislike the chillstep tag lol.

To be honest I can't answer your question accurately for shit but after a quick search I believe you need to find whats known as a Pivot Chord/Note to make the transition smoother. This is all subjective to what scale you're actually using?

That's ok. I don't like labeling my songs, but I put it there to give some kind of guide on what kind of music I'm working on.

Anyways, I do know the pivot note, as it's the key of the song. I was thinking on maybe make another breakdown.

Hey mate. Hard to say until I hear it but could you try adding or using the notes that are in both scales? Like pentatonics..just an idea.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

That's ok. I don't like labeling my songs, but I put it there to give some kind of guide on what kind of music I'm working on.

Anyways, I do know the pivot note, as it's the key of the song. I was thinking on maybe make another breakdown.
Major scale's are fucking nasty, i hate them to death. If you really want to use one in the intro, than a minor transition should sound alright. When going from a minor to major scale (assuming its the same major as before), if you use the same transition notes as you used in the intro it should also work. Because it's a major scale it probably sound fucking terrible anyway, but it still should work.

If it doesnt, try using different tension notes to progress the scale (for example the major's 7th used in context with the minor as it's 2nd/9th to create a tense melodic progression). I'm not really that knowledgeable in music theory, but you could try stuff like that and experiment with what works. If I were you i'd dump major keys altogether as they make me wanna puke. You can use major chords in a minor key's chord progression to get some really cool harmonies, its hard to describe but it kinda makes the major chords not sound major because theyre used in a minor context, and is something i often check out.

Major scale's are fucking nasty, i hate them to death. If you really want to use one in the intro, than a minor transition should sound alright. When going from a minor to major scale (assuming its the same major as before), if you use the same transition notes as you used in the intro it should also work. Because it's a major scale it probably sound fucking terrible anyway, but it still should work.

If it doesnt, try using different tension notes to progress the scale (for example the major's 7th used in context with the minor as it's 2nd/9th to create a tense melodic progression). I'm not really that knowledgeable in music theory, but you could try stuff like that and experiment with what works. If I were you i'd dump major keys altogether as they make me wanna puke. You can use major chords in a minor key's chord progression to get some really cool harmonies, its hard to describe but it kinda makes the major chords not sound major because theyre used in a minor context, and is something i often check out.

I'm sorry but your disgust of the major scales made me lol a bit. I also feel a little bit disgusted by major scales, but this time I'm focusing on contrasts, you know? The "happy, pretty" melody of a major, to a dark, melancholic melody of a minor.

you do realize that major keys and minor keys have the same notes? (G major = e minor, ect., always 3 halfsteps down)

minor keys just start two notes earlier and because of that the intervals switch around

but yeah try to use bridge notes, or get it to fade out and start again, maybe listen to some pieces that have a minor to major change and get some idead from there

edit: i was talking to mania and his disgusr of major scales not you!

Last edited:
you do realize that major keys and minor keys have the same notes? (G major = e minor, ect., always 3 halfsteps down)

minor keys just start two notes earlier and because of that the intervals switch around

but yeah try to use bridge notes, or get it to fade out and start again, maybe listen to some pieces that have a minor to major change and get some idead from there

Yeah, I do realise. I'm doing my homework when it comes to theory! ;)

What actual major /minor chord is it? G major then e minor?
You can't really use scales by themselves, generally you need some sort of chords underneath to make sure the harmony is obvious.... If you're just noodling around on a c major scale, you can't tell if it's c major or b locrian without chords or a bass note to back it up.
Write your chords first, even if it's only one chord per section. Use a pad, or a piano or something to actually play the chord, then worry about scales and things.
Also, I find using maj7 chords very useful to provide an ambient mood which isn't too happy clappy.

edit: i was talking to mania and his disgusr of major scales not you!

course i know that silly, nothing i said implies i dont. But yeah, just because a minor key has the same notes as the relative doesnt mean it sounds the same. And he also hasnt stated if he actually is using the relative.

Back
Top Bottom