i got a question, bit baffled

jimchizz

alright guys, i been asked to do internet radio which is pretty effin cushty and im gonna be broadcasting from my own place. I been told I need winamp and shoutcast to do so but ive found out that neither are supported for broadcasting on a mac. Which is a bit screwing. is there a way around this or am i going to have to find a cheap ass pc laptop purely for internet radio? cheers

J

i am sure there is a win amp and shout cast download for MAC

http://www.shoutcast.com/download

UNIX, LINUX, FreeBSD and MAC OSX:
1. Download the SHOUTcast DNAS application version appropriate to your system by proceeding to this link.
2. Gunzip the distribution and un-tar the archive.
3. Use a text editor to configure the sc_serv.conf file (Please see the SHOUTcast DNAS application section of the Documentation page for more information on what each field in this config file means ).
4. Note that the user you run the server as requires read access to the config file, and write access for the files you define for file storage and log storage.

half way down the page there is how to set up on MAC.

Ok After many hours of frustration and pulling my hair out I finally figured out how to set up the shoutcast streaming server up on my freakin' Mac.
So I thought I would share step by step on exactly how I did it.
First of all I searched every forumn for hours in order to find all the information. I am an admitted newbie and had no clue as to what I was doing.
SO...with that said here we go.

1.) Take a deep breath, go to the fridge and grab yourself a beer (this is a 3-4 beer job).

2.) Go to this address URL submitted by user. And download the shoutcast server for the Mac.

3.) Go to this address and download the streaming media server for Mac OSX. URL submitted by user.

4.) Unstuff, Unzip, Unpack, both of the files mention above. And read the readme file- Just read it. It wont hurt you.

Before you go any further you need to get a code editor- dont try to use your text editor or some other stupid word program- it wont work- so go here to download this free one. If I had done this from the beginning I would have saved 3 hours. URL submitted by user.

5.) Ok we are on our way- by this point you should be 1/2 way through your first beer. NEXT open that text editor you downloaded and open the file SC_SERV.config and change the variable which need to be changed.

6.) Now open the SC_Trans.config file, with the same editor, and change the password to be the same as it is on the previous file. Also change any other parimeters you need to.

7.) Finish first beer, then open your finder and click on applications scroll down until you see utilities, click on utilites and open the Terminal program on the bottom.

8.) Open your next beer and open your System preferances. Click on sharing.
Click on Firewall. Click new. On port name click NEW. Enter shoutcast for the name and 8000-8001 for the port.

9.) Now if you have a rourter- then you need to open up a port for shoutcast and so forth. You need to read this post. URL submitted by user.

10.) Open your 3rd beer if you had to read the previous post otherwise drink up. Now open the terminal window and drag the SC_SERV file into the window. If all goes well then you shoud have started up your server.

11.) Open a new terminal window and drag sc_trans_macosx to that window. If you followed the directions in the readme file and you acually have songs then you have streaming media..

Go to this address URL submitted by user.
to see if it works.

Ok good luck with your broadcast and I hope this was helpful- I wish I had this when I started

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=193025

oh fairplay nice one. i thought i read earlier that it was only for listening not for broadcasting. what do i need winamp for then? or can i use itunes. im new to this, my bad haha

shoutcast is a win amp add on mate, so get win amp then shoutcast you stream through win amp, shoutcast is your stream set up.

winamp is only available on PC apparently. i should be joining the shedbass clan too boys, once i get this all geared up proper haha :thumbsup:

yea, winamp is not supported unfortunately. there must be some way around this, i can't believe it can only be PCs which can broadcast. if there is like a cheap software alternative for the mac i dont mind forking out a few squids and that

ahh... back to square one i see! i unfortunatly have to lug my desktop PC to my mates every monday, long barely even describes it!

i managed to look out an old PC that will do the trick, going to use that... for what its worth mate, find a dirt cheap/free PC someone doesn't want anymore and use that!

ahh... back to square one i see! i unfortunatly have to lug my desktop PC to my mates every monday, long barely even describes it!

mate that sounds like an absolute mission. im gonna see what ebay has to offer. laptops brand new are well cheap these days anyway, so a knocked about one should still have decent spec but be a bit cheaper really. itll only be for this sort of thing anyway and if im payin 5 bar a month to DJ its gonna cost a fortune haha

i managed to find an old laptop in my house which is good news, havent got a wireless card though, its a start though, must be able to get one of those bad boys on the cheap

i use nicecast - you put the server details in to the prefrences, click audio in from mac press stream and your away! eassssssssssy.

ah found it not to worry. just need to fiddle with this thing for a bit i think, cheers guys for all your help, ill let you know when im on air and you can have a listen see if the end product was worth all this hassle!

Back
Top Bottom