i got a jazz drummer to replay the amen

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what are the differences between those breaks? Are the notes the same, but the groove is different, is that it? Or are they different patterns?

Whats the name of this one:
1+2+3+4+
k-sk-s--

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what are the differences between those breaks? Are the notes the same, but the groove is different, is that it? Or are they different patterns?

Whats the name of this one:
1+2+3+4+
k-sk-s--

They are drummed on very different kits using very different recording techniques.

They are drummed on very different kits using very different recording techniques.

...which does raise an important question of why bother having someone replay them? If they are all going to be played on the same kit and recorded on the same equipment (even by the same drummer) then......

shit im sorry heres the real list:

amen
hotpants
kickback
soulpride
kool is back
n. t.

innovine i think certain breaks will stand out as they are very distinctive with the wall of clangy rides on amen and the tambourine groove on hotpants and when you get a real good drummer to re-play them with variations and different sound its going to be sweet, i mean its got to, im sure of it. soulpride will be interesting too

...which does raise an important question of why bother having someone replay them? If they are all going to be played on the same kit and recorded on the same equipment (even by the same drummer) then......

pretty irrelevant question. would you like me to talk the guy? and cancel it maybe. but ok, why. because its creative and... fun. which is all the reason i need for anything really

The amen is really impossible to reproduce... It was made on such shabby equipment from the 60's that nothing compares to it nowadays. All that noise and clangyness is basically just 'wrong' in the engineering sense, but it's the best sounding drum clip I've ever heard. If you don't count the "Holy Ghost" by Bar-Kays, but that's more about the groove than the sound. I've got one from some sample pack whose name has been forgotten eons ago, might as well put it here.

Attachments

• Amen_1_124bpm..rar
    261.6 KB · Views: 64
My reason for asking was cos I play the drums (although not very well). So the only difference in the breaks then is in the drummer, gear and recording.. its not the notes the drummer is actually playing?

Can anyone identify the break I posted above, cos it is not the same pattern as the amen, but it still is quite common... would be cool to know if its just something that evolved from nowhere in particular, or had a root in a specific recording...

Back
Top Bottom