I feel guilty

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
I feel guilty that I am buying a CD, then ripping/slicing up the samples I make with them

Should I be worried? What if I were to sell a song with it in it? (like a will soon though hah)

depends really. i dont recommend sampling a whole riff or a phrase or a vocal or something, more because it isnt very creative than any sort of copy right infringement.
but grabbing a break or a stab or something isnt very bad at all

yeah as long as u make it ur own and unrecognisable from the original, i'm sure most of us have been guilty of sampling something from somehwere at some point in time ;)

blatant sampling ain't the best of ideas tho as it undermines all the hard work that went into making the tune by the original producer :(

i think aslong as it isnt longer than 11seconds its okay, i cant remember though

There is technically no fixed time limit, and each case is determined individually. I used to think it was 3 seconds, but a professor in the music school explained this to me. Apparently intellectual property laws concerning music are really flexible, and sometimes misinterpreted even by judges, as in the 2 live crew case.

tigi

Basically, if I mangle the sample so much that its barely recognisable, I call it being creative and don't worry about it.

If you're releasing tunes with recognisable long samples though, you "need" to get them cleared.

The guys that own the rights to the amen have even been known to chase people up over that, as far as I know.

Pretty sure its something like 12 notes, my dad was in advertising and i remember him saying that you had to change every 12th note if you didnt wanna pay the artist for the song.

Basically, if I mangle the sample so much that its barely recognisable, I call it being creative and don't worry about it.

If you're releasing tunes with recognisable long samples though, you "need" to get them cleared.

The guys that own the rights to the amen have even been known to chase people up over that, as far as I know.

actually, the original creators of the amen break are dead, and they never tried to sue anyone. Other people after them tried to copyright the AMEN, and then get royalties, but the original creators weren't dicks like that

actually, the original creators of the amen break are dead, and they never tried to sue anyone. Other people after them tried to copyright the AMEN, and then get royalties, but the original creators weren't dicks like that

yea apperently the winstons never copyrighted the break so it free to use!
bet they were gutted on that!:rinsed:

i doubt they were gutted man, id be well proud if the only tune i ever made spawned such a massive following.
These guys are immortal. any sort of money is just pale in comparison.

spose but money aswell would be good!:D
also its not the only tune they ever made!

Every 12th note is complete bollocks as it would be a license to copy every single song.

The Winston's never bothered to sue for their break being sampled for their own reasons, not because 'it was never copyrighted'.

Every 12th note is complete bollocks as it would be a license to copy every single song.

The Winston's never bothered to sue for their break being sampled for their own reasons, not because 'it was never copyrighted'.

In most countries, you cannot create something and have it not copyrighted. There is even debate on whether you can voluntarily give up copyright by choosing to (ie "put something in the public domain")

Also, yes, somebody does own the copyright to the amen. Copyright dosen't disappear when the creator dies.

EDIT: Haha what, "create something and have it not created"... mash-head :/

Back
Top Bottom