I did a little video on D&B breakbeat fundamentals.

fanu

I did a little video on D&B breakbeat fundamentals. This is basic stuff, but maybe you can learn something. I will make more and get deeper. This is all free, so feel free to share. Hit me up with questions if you want.

I'll probably make some sort of "masterclass" type of content later on.​

Breakbeat basics: how to reverse loop drums if your sampler doesn't do reverse looping?

After my last video, I received plenty of questions as to how to do reverse looping with your sampler if it doesn't have that function? (e.g., Maschine still doesn't have it, Ableton Simpler doesn't have it).
I did a video on an old trusted method of mine that's been providing me with seamless breakbeats for a long time now even if all my samplers don't have a reverse loop. Doing with Ableton Live and its handy intergration with 3rd party audio editors, but this can be done with any daw.

such a great video, proving how subjective sound is, but at the same time that there is a very clear standard of "good" sound. you didnt happen to start out on a tracker fanu? looping the tail is a classic tracker trick to get reverb

makes me think of when we had a compo about a year ago when i got my entry reviewed by nic_tvg from my absolute fave label in the world (other than early metalheadz), who described very clearly what my shit was lacking, and they were extremely obvious points, that i didnt hear in the slightest before reading the review and would very likely have dismissed had it come from someone else haha.

I took a lot from this video Fanu, never thought about gating or that transient trick, thats cool stuff, thanks for sharing man!

such a great video, proving how subjective sound is, but at the same time that there is a very clear standard of "good" sound. you didnt happen to start out on a tracker fanu? looping the tail is a classic tracker trick to get reverb

Started with Octamed on Amiga around 1992 :)

After the video on Ozone 5 multiband gating that I did recently, I got some questions as to whether that could be done with the plugins in Ableton Live. Answer is: yes, check out its Multiband Dynamics plugin and play with its "B" (below) module, set ratios as low as you can and mess with the threshold.

I'd love to see a video with you placing a reese sample into Ableton's sampler and utalizing some tricks & trips on modulation of the various functions of the built in effects like the filter envelope, oscillator, pitch envelope, saturator, glide, and intresting looping or triggering techniques. Possibly even a multi sampler instrument rack broken into frequency bands with different modulations and effects on each one.

I know the Ableton sampler is powerful, but I feel I'm lacking in what all it can offer in regards to bass and reeses. I could use some inspiration and to see some techniques from someone that knows it more in depth to get my reese basses phat, intresting, rhythmic, and just plain old better.

I've seen some basic videos on the subject, but nothing to intricate or inspiring. Seems to be more of them out there, but utilizing the Kontakt sampler instead.

Back
Top Bottom