Hyqxyz - Our Journey To The Light

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by horace111, Jul 24, 2010.

1. horace111

horace111 My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)

It has been quite long since I made a drum and bass song , untill today I came up with this.
    It is something really different compared to my other dnb songs, I tried to aim more at the feeling in this song instead of trying to make a good track using phat synthesizers and drums.
    So, here it is , I hope you like it and feel free to critisize/comment (Although I think that, as always, I EQ'd it wrong d: )

http://soundcloud.com/hyqxyz/our-journey-to-the-light

(I've put some other songs on my main page that don't belong on this forum, so feel free to comment on my soundcloud page too!)

2. djmojo

djmojo Member

Overall, I like the moodiness of it. I think the tempo is a bit slow to call it drum n bass... but the beats are nice anyway. I agree, the eqing needs a bit of cleaning, I wasn't sure if you were going for that type of sound to go with the feel of the track, but I don't think it would hurt to make it a little cleaner. I really like the strings when they come in, really builds up nice. Also the dirty vinyl sound is a little loud throughout the track. I understand the effect you're going for, in fact I'm doing something similar at a spot in a track i'm working on, lol. But maybe drop it down a bit after the intro to let everything else come through a bit more.

3. horace111

horace111 My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)

Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I really aimed for that low-fi sound (I'm a big Burial fan) but I agree that the noise should be a bit quiter after the intro
    I've been a bit lazy with making an automation path for that I guess :)
    And indeed it is a lot to slow for calling it dnb (140BMP) but I didn't really know what genre it belonged to.

4. dexter

dexter Member

awesome man, phat as when it drops and its got that kinda growl with the wide drums, i dont listen to much slow electronica but it reminded me a bit of some of aphex, rjd2 and shit like that, inspiring. : )

crit i guess could be the mix down a little, the strings are a little thin, would be cool if they were really big when the second drop comes in, more emphasis on the other stuff going on i guess, drums take centre stage when in this kinda song i dont think they should, i dunno maybe just bring up the other elements. its good though man.

5. co0ke

co0ke windowlicker

definitley got your own thing going on, nice style. really feel the melodies in here.