HOWTO MAKE A GHOST SNARE

Discussion in 'Production' started by brightonstatic, Jan 17, 2007.

1. brightonstatic

brightonstatic New Member

hi could some one explain what a ghost snare is and how to make one, if this is already covered then point me in the right direction.. thankx guys ....

2. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

i didnt know how to make one of these either, the closest i got in fruity loops was, i either got a hi hat or a snare added a delay effect messed about with the frequencies until i got a good sound, added some reverb, a compressor and some other effects until i got the sound i wanted. I then used the piano roll function to play 4 or 6 beats very quickly.

3. brightonstatic

piano roll function what that ??

4. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I think ghost snares are just snares placed after normal snares at a much lower velocity so they're not so loud in the mix. They help to add 'roll' to a break.

5. dj_lean

dj_lean New Member

a ghost snare litterally means the sound a drummer makes after hitting the snare drum. Usually it is made by striking the edge of the drum rather than the drum itself and can also be known as a sidehit. In most of the classic breaks they are combined with high hats to create the shimmy or shuffle. You can make a ghost snare out of anything but it helps if it somehow audibly relates to the original snare. Try filtering, pitch shifting and/or just changing the amplitude of the original snare

6. brightonstatic

thankx guys that helps a lot :beers:

7. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

I like to use the same sample as the main snare, but just cut the sound of it early, so you get a sharp 'tss' sound instead of a punchy 'tssh', and then filter/eq it a bit.

8. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

thats what ido.. its nice and simple!!!

9. TheMadStuntman

TheMadStuntman TheMadStuntman

Yeah I've got the same problem I've been messin around for ages trying to crack this one! closest I got was using the half velocity method and placing the notes like so...
    ~_~_~

10. killahurtz_UK

killahurtz_UK New Member

The problem with using the same sample for the ghost hits as the snare is that it often doesn't sound very natural. Yeh, you can just change the velocity settings but it still has the acoustic properties of a full snare hit. Best to use a sampled break and use both the snare and ghost hits from it. Either that or use a sample pack with different velocity hits of the same snare drum.

EZ

11. skeez

skeez Nuke 'em all !

simply explain :)

12. boot

boot Member

Yeah, defo best to get these from sampled breaks, making them yourself can sometimes be quite tricky, in trying to replicate the human touch. You can layer them up if you want although that's not entirely necessary. Also retains some of the funk from the original break(s) used.