Howitzer - Two Step Flex (rolling dnb)

Howitzer

VIP Junglist

A bit of a roller I've been working on. The bass is a little flappy in parts, I'm having a tough time tightening it up though.
If you have any comments or critique I'd be interested to hear them!

EDIT:

Updated with totally reworked bass:

I used a different technique on this one, split the bass line into a sub sine and a techy top end. Much clearer in the lows, and new mastering too. It sounds snappier to me anyhow.
Let me know what you think guys!

Last edited:
Dude, this track is sick. Love the little melody pop you have going on. Hell flexing. Those drums are tight as. Definitely got the head nod happening. But yeah that bass could be tightened up a bit as you were saying. Needs a touch more processing on it. But apart from that it's fresh as. Nice to hear some freshness instead of everything trying to be Noi... Skri... etc

big ups man! Cheers for the great comments :)
Any ideas what I could try to tighten it up? Ive been trying a bit of EQ'ing and multiband distortion to give the top end a bit more crispness, it aint happening at the moment though.

I used massive with 3 osc's, one sine for the sub and two others, I think they were squares or tri's phase offset from the sub sine. Then camelphat over the top for modulatuion.
I think its the original sound in massive that needs the work, im dreading going back in and tweaking forever though.

nice track the drums are very well processed. the bass sounds don't measure up though...if it were me i'd drop the bass synth an octave and add distortion to make it deeper and darker, or even look for some different samples/patches...dnb refill packs have a lot of nice one hit bass notes u can filter in and out to make them do what you want, (some good ones in the friction n icicle pack, and the drumsound n bassline smith). Definitely worth putting more work in with those basses because the synths are drums are wicked

Thanks for your comments man.
I'd like to try and salvage/develop the sound more, rather that using sample based stuff. I really need to get my bass synth knowledge up to scratch.
I'm thinking I might separate the sub and mid range into two separate patches in massive and try to smoosh them back together again with some bussing, I'm hoping that'll clean up the sound somewhat. It'll also mean I can keep all my automation ive got going on with the filters in camelphat. That took a while to setup. . .

Back
Top Bottom