DnB Howitzer - Face The Funk (deep/techy)

i like the song, drums could sound more tight to me mabye with some element that makes them unique, some percussions or smth. the reese could use some more highend imo, to make it more warm-sounding. i think everything is there for a dope tune, maybe 2,3 elements that make it more special could be added. the vocal is a bit silent also. rspct

I really liked where it was going by 1:30 with the bass; I do agree the mids could be lifted up a bit. The drums are good; clear and energetic. The breakdown around 3:20 went on a bit, could maybe be shortened. I liked when things got started back up at 4:00, though. I do feel the song was a bit longer than what I'm used to, though maybe that's the genre you're working in? Anyway, I guess I don't have much criticism, as it's solid.

Yeah I would give the reece a bit more high end. Try layering a sound over the top of your reece like the sound of pasta being mixed in a pan, or paper being crumpled up. Process this sound with your bass (in exactly the same FX chain). This will give it an interesting texture on the top end.

Tighten up the drums too. Use saturation/multiband compression. Think about swapping out some of the drum sounds with other samples that you think could be better.

i like the song, drums could sound more tight to me mabye with some element that makes them unique, some percussions or smth.

Yeah good call man, I've been considering putting a bit more percussion in there, I might lift the levels of the ride aswell, I seem to have squashed it a bit into the mix.

I do feel the song was a bit longer than what I'm used to, though maybe that's the genre you're working in.

It is a bit long, youre right, and yes, it is longer than many other in the same sub-genre, I'm undecided whether to leave it as is or change up the structure. Thanks for your comments though man :)

Try layering a sound over the top of your reece like the sound of pasta being mixed in a pan, or paper being crumpled up. Process this sound with your bass (in exactly the same FX chain). This will give it an interesting texture on the top end.

Tighten up the drums too. Use saturation/multiband compression. Think about swapping out some of the drum sounds with other samples that you think could be better.

Great points there man, I'm really interested to try out the bass technique you describe. I've been looking for some nice top end to the reece, but the bass sound itself isnt enough, I'll be on this tonight!

Thanks for the crit guys, youve given me some good direction, +rep :)

Back
Top Bottom