DnB Howitzer - Big Bertha (tech/neuro dnb)

Howitzer

VIP Junglist
Ez All,

New track up for critique if you have the time, this ones on a rolling tech vibe.

I like the bass, but I think the snare's gotta change. I'm not sure about the drums in general tbh, the kick might need pulling out from the bass freq's a bit, I'm unsure whether to add some more drum fills etc or leave it as a consistent roller.

All comments welcome!
cheers

I dig it a lot!
The bass doesnt sound that complex to make but it's very original imo. It comes across very funkehh.
I don't really like the variation around 2:50 that much, and the quiet party may need some more elements to make it interesting?
I do like the snare, might need an extra layer, just some more thump maybe.
The kick and bass work quite nicely together as they are I think? I rlyl rly rly like that kick. Maybe add more sidechain or some other form of movement to the bass?
Drums could maybe do with some variations or cool breaks/fills inbetween.

Really like the vibe of this track, agree with pixelscum(around 2:50 and just after not sure it sounds good but maybe just have another go with midi there) intro seemed a bit odd, I would either start the song with drums in or no drums at all until drop. That synth vocal sounding thing that hits at 1:28 i would save it for a little later in track and try get the bass to be more orgasmic. Drums do sound a bit metronomeish but i like the samples and i like the minimal patterns. Bass is lacking something maybe duplicate and try some chorus/phaser etc, go wild with it, feels a bit restrained. Also the bass gets old at half way, but you could get away with this if there were some drum rolls/fills. Kick sounds muffled in some places on my speakers woo just got monitors Krk rokit 5 but I don't have sub yet ):

But yeah i faved and follow you cuz i really do like this track.

Thanks very much for the critique guys! I'll take it all into consideration and have another stab at this tonight.

I do love my tech funk, its something im trying to put across with this track, glad it hits the right notes with you guys :)

I initially had quite a heavy verb on the bass, it was introducing loads of resonance on the stabs, they sounded like toms almost! So I dialed it back, possibly too far, but the tom like feel did add a bit of spice.

If the kick is muffled, it may well be that the b-line and kick are sharing too much of the same space, i'll look into it, cheers!

bump! I still havent gotten round to editing this with another mix down, but will do soon. So all critique welcome before I chop the shit outta it!

Work on the intro, maybe not leave the few seconds before drums come in, cause it feels weird. The little breakdown before drop also comes out of nowhere, imo. Drop is so damn good, liking those bass stabs very much. Leave that snare cause it's epic. :)

The bass is nice. The drums don't seem to sit right for me. I'm not sure what it is though.

Thanks very much for the feedback guys!
Ive left this for a bit to give my ears a rest, listening again I think im gonna work on the bass a bit to give it more punch & maybe work with some filtering of the drums to add some interest.

sane is sick maybe a small layer under it would set it off. Tune is pretty sick man. Like the vox delays alot. Seems to be close to being a tune. Maybe some extra bass that comes in and out twords the end of some revolutions would be sick.

the drums in the intro sound fine, but once the tune drops they become a bit muffled. i'd try to get a more "whip" sounding snare if that makes sense.. the bassline is sick as it is so great work!

Back
Top Bottom