Drum & Bass Howitzer - Apollo (Wip)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Howitzer, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Easy guys,
    Ive been piecing together a new deep roller of late, I've got to a point where I'd like a bit of crit before heading back into the studio for round two.

I'm undecided on the bassline, it could well do with another pass to change / tighten up the mids, I quite like the sound though.
    The kick doesnt cut through as much as I'd like, a bit of EQing should sort that though.

If you have the time, I'd be very grateful for any comments you may have
    cheers

EDIT: Updated with new version

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Sick mate really deep stuff in here I like that, one point that I didn't like was the riser at 0.42 ish (and around 4 minutes aswell), it didn't fit in in my opinion.
    For the rest tight mixdown nice freq spacing and all that really nice and tight, but the track itself bored me to hell after a while not much is happening.
    So technically a really nice one but song wise quite boring in my opinion.

Cheers buddy !

3. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Cheers for the feedback!

song composition is something I need to work on, my other tracks have had similar crit. I guess some people naturally have it, bastards. hehe.
    What sort of techniques do you think I could use to add a bit more interest? More unique samples? Different bassline movement? Drum edits? All of the above? heh.

4. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

You've got plenty of bass movement that's not a problem, a slowly evolving pad on the background would do miracles I believe, not too low in frequency because the bass pretty much has that covered something a bit higher to fill up the gap in the mid freqs.

I wouldn't dive in the more unique samples thing stay true to your style which is ruined if you put in all kinds of samples to make it more interesting, let the track remain clean and be your personal thing. Even if your tracks are boring as hell perhaps that is just the style you are looking for so I wouldn't take my criticism too much into account as it refers to subjective matters only. And the technical side was top work in my opinion ;)

Cheers mate !

5. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

wicked mate, thanks a million :)

6. Silent Impact

Silent Impact Member

Wow , you are really skilled. The atmosphere and percussion is very good.
    At the beginning i was hoping for a smooth liquid tune but oh well :D gj

Howitzer likes this.
  7. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

@Silent Impact, big ups man! Thanks very much for the comments :)

8. Dubz1e

Dubz1e New Member

Nice tune. You've got the structure down and I like the way it evolves. The high end synth, pads and hats/shuffle all sound sick.

Im by no means a brilliant producer but some ideas I thought of trying would be to use a variety of kicks in the intro. In not listening off the best headphones but sounds like there might be a bit too much high end on the mid range bass synth sound. I would also love to try pitching the key up and down alternatively towards the end of every 8 or 16 bars.

Hope that helps!

9. Dubz1e

Dubz1e New Member

Pitch bending*

Howitzer likes this.
  10. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

As people have said, you atmospheres are really something. You nailed the intro. I'm not sure of what I think of the mid bass. Maybe cut down on the reverb a bit or take out some more highs. But other than that I think its great. Big ups!

Howitzer likes this.
  11. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Much love guys, thanks very much for all the feedback! Ive got a bit more ammunition to finish this sucker off later in the week now :D

12. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Updated with some pads, and some other tweaks to the drums, etc.

13. oversight

oversight Member

lots of cool sounds, that bass is really unusual, personally i probably would have put a filter on to cut out some of the higher frequencies, but thats purely personal preference. the drums sound nice, again maybe roll a little bit of the highs of the hats?

nice stuff tho mate

14. The tane

The tane New Member

Those scattered kicks at the beginning are sexy as hell both in tone and rhythm. Atmosphere at beginning is nice too. Really interesting main break, but it took a lot to get into the feel of it. I was hoping for more of the standard DnB pattern. But it sounds amazing in terms of mix and production. I'm super impressed. I thought that bass line and bass tone was super interesting, definitely cool. Great job, man.

15. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Chuffed at all the positive comments, cheers guys!

@Oversight - I'll have a go at bringing down the highs, not a problem. How high should high hats be? I usually dont cut too much off the top, maybe 18k up. Yourself?