How would I setup my padkontrol as a step sequencer and use it in cubase?

Rogue Cypher

I still don't know how step sequencers work really.

I have seen vids of them on YT. I get the general idea how they play live like you see the light running through the steps and you press a button for each sample but how would that correspond to recording a session on the step sequencer in cubase?

I'm interested in using the patch/mod to get the padkontrol running as a step sequencer for this purpose as I think it would give me the more hands on feel for doing stuff that I have been clamouring for.

Hmm silly me. Now I think of it a bit there wouldn't be much point in that as having the padkontrol just in it's default mode with samples loaded up would do the same thing wouldn't it so long as I had quantize on in cubase and had the piano roll open...unless a hardware step sequencer does more than this?

Last edited:
Ive been wanting to do that with my padKONTROl since the day I got it, but after a year or two (of crap music) (still crap music...) that second method has worked fine for getting stuff going. Then you can just edit it by hand.

I haven't looked lately but there are some funky videos of padkontrols in native mode, which lets you use some software to make it behave how ever you want, including step sequencing. But there have been little to none videos or forum posts explaining where the download is, or how to set it up, so i just haven't gotten to doing it.

Eventually I just bought Ableton Intro and now I am a happy camper once again!

I've been trying to figure out quantize for about and hour and I still can't figure it out properly.

I want it to autoquantize which I sort of figured out but also for the note to only be a certain length each time -can anyone tell me how to do that?

I want it to play the same note length on each hit automatically without me having to edit it after.

I don't have Cubas...

...but just try lowering/raising the length knob in whatever sampler you are using.

...and edit by hand(mouse) when necessary.

Length knob?

I've been told I have along knob but it isn't for this kind of music...

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 ----------

Gah this is annoying. Like you said I've been searching for the software for the monomulator but the main page is dead and all the other links have led to the dead link so far :(

Well that last post was confusing!??!

How about this...

1) Can you find the download links and information on using padkontrols in native mode?

2) What does "I've been told I have along knob but it isn't for this kind of music..." mean?

By length knob I meant the knob that says how long your drum samples will be played for. It can display as either a MIDI value, a percent, a notation length, or an actual length of time.

Well that last post was confusing!??!

How about this...

1) Can you find the download links and information on using padkontrols in native mode?

2) What does "I've been told I have along knob but it isn't for this kind of music..." mean?

By length knob I meant the knob that says how long your drum samples will be played for. It can display as either a MIDI value, a percent, a notation length, or an actual length of time.

lol, guess my humour was wasted on you there.

I am unaware of how you change the parameters in cubase tho to change the length knob...

I have managed to find the several programs that are required to use it in native mode but they are going to take some figuring out as there are no neat installers and I seem to require some other program to read the program that will put it in native mode.

I will keep trying tho as at least made some progress in that region finding the programs.

links please...

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

well after a bit of googleing around the newest information i see is from 2008. I have dial up at home, and have to go out some where to find highspeed access, so i can't do much research and can't watch any YT videos. I would certainly like to make a few adjustments to the pK set up just for better integration with Ableton.

I forget what i was going to say next so i'll just shut up.

Here are the links:

http://stutterbrain.wordpress.com/max-patch/

http://kpkproject.twoday.net/

The bottom one looks most promising form what I can tell.

You will also require this max 5 thing which will open and read the patches I believe:

[Link removed]

The thing I don't get so far is the max 5 thing doesn't have any .exe files in it so I don't know how to get it to run. There is instructions in it and I didn't try too hard yesterday but I think you might even require another program again for it. I'll lok into it later at some point.

Let me know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to get this fucking shit program running is precisely what pisses me off about using software and having to program instead of hardware.

It's making me want to smash the thing against the wall.

It's like it's teasing me with the possibility of one day being able to enjoy using the device, like some striptease.

The whole point of making music was to give me a release tio relieve my already high stress levels. I require instant gratification.

When I have trouble while trying to learn something new you just gotta find someone that can already do it, and just take it slow. Don't let yourself go wild, the sun always rises.

Difficult things that I am now good at-
-Welding
-Driving
-iPod/iPhone stuff

things that I am still getting good at-
-Music producing
-Life

Things I am terrible at
-Talking to people (girls)

FML...

LOL pancake.

I gave up and went to playing computer games since I am not interested in tackling the learning curve really.

I've learned tons of stuff with high learning curve don't get me wrong but with music I precisely want to be able to dive right in to give me a break form the stresses of the learning curve of life.

If I get an esx or emx will I be able to make acid type techno just with that or will I require other stuff? I wouldn't mind doing the synths and stuff with software and keyboard but I'm attracted to the korg products because they seem a more interactive way to get bit going as I hate the point and click. So long as I can do that 'live' I'd be happy layering the synths etc on keyboard after/during. I just want a setup to be a live as I can (and can afford) while still being electronic.

I'm pretty sure most of the "live" stuff you see on YouTube has been set up a head of time. I don't think there is a way to make electronic (and sometimes analog) music without setting something up or browsing through samples before hand. I got into music producing when I heard drum and bass on a local radio station and on YouTube, I wanted to do dope ass live sets just like in the videos. So i played around with GarageBand a ton, then bought my padKONTROL and then eventually Reason 4 and Ableton Intro. ...Well I still havn't gotten around to doing those dope ass live sets, and I have been meaning to get to it ASAP for a year. My learning curve is slowing down, but it's still going up, the first hill was hard, but the final (and longer) hill will only be hard if I make it hard on myself.

All in all, if you want to do dope ass live sets like on YouTube (with any genre of music) then just use Ableton Live, thats what its made for. It's a very different DAW, that behaves like no other can, and at the end of the day it is the work horse that brings all your sweat and tears into one place then pumps it through your speakers.

... O and i almost forgot, if you have a padKONTROL I dont supose you have seen that video of the kid doing a live set in his bed room and it has the vocal "I'm walking in the airrrrr" That set is done on ableton

Can I get padkontrol to control each channel in cubase? Like to activate it then do effects with rotarys so using it like a mixing desk of sorts? Or would ableton be better for that?

Yes I'm aware alot of them make loops beforehand but with many of the acid jams they seem to do it on the fly cos it's very simple and more about the playing with the filters to progress the track than the structure, at least that what it looks like.

maybe they made like one bassline before and just play with the effect on say the 303 if that's what they're using.

Maybe they already have a couple premade loops but my point is that is at a mimimum and most of it is playing with the effects.

Your definitely right about the playing with filters and effects because thats what I see also. I have iPod/iPhone apps that are all about crosfadeing and playing with filters, while you add or take away parts of the overall loop.

and as far as the mixing board set up, it would be a huge hassle to setup all those scenes to control a sequencing daw.

...Which leaves us with the question of what to do with our $200 midi controllers? I know i didn't spend all that money to let a piece of plastic and circuit boards to have it sit next to me and turned off.

It says "MIDI Studio Controllers" right on it, so i guess thats what its for... it doesn't have enough buttons to be used efficiently with Ableton, and we can't figure out how to put it in native mode. So at the end of the day i use it to make (terrible) rap beats.

FML...

lol word up.

Mine is also a FAIL story with regards the padkontrol.

The 1st day I got it I opened it then just said 'I'll lok into it later' and I played with it for about 5 mins the next day or two and was uninspired and it has been sitting catching dust ever since.

Maybe not coincidentally but I had already bought it 3rd hand off ebay, the previous seller saying the exact same thing of how they bought it, never used it and left it sitting on the shelf.

Now ppl who are really really into music will say 'fuck you spoilt brats I will make good use of any equipment' which I don't doubt. I never attested to being absolutely enthralled in music to that degree altho I am in other things.

It's for this precise reason that I want something that will enable me to dive right in and enjoy music rather than steep learning curves.

So I think mine is prob gonna go up on ebay once again to go to someone who will make better use of it as I can't really envisage me using it practically now.

Back
Top Bottom