How would I go about making Dark tunes like this?

parsons19

VIP Junglist
I certainly have some ideas but I don't know how to make my Bass do all them sweet noises! Any advice in any departments of making a tune like these would be awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all about automation and modulations my friend. Start by making a nice heavy crunchy bass, then attach a lowpass filter, or comb filter to it, and then automate it opening and closing at different speeds. That is just a basic way of doing it, but once you get the hang of that, you can then add more technical stuff like attaching a slow opening envelope to the resonance as well as the the cutoff filter opening and closing.

Its all about automation and modulations my friend. Start by making a nice heavy crunchy bass, then attach a lowpass filter, or comb filter to it, and then automate it opening and closing at different speeds. That is just a basic way of doing it, but once you get the hang of that, you can then add more technical stuff like attaching a slow opening envelope to the resonance as well as the the cutoff filter opening and closing.

Cheers man, thats some reall good info, will give that a try now I think! :P

I know I always say this but try not to let other D&B tracks inspire you, look to other genres for inspiration.
I'm seeing a lot of people on soundcloud who are making decent tunes but they are all so similar.

I know I always say this but try not to let other D&B tracks inspire you, look to other genres for inspiration.
I'm seeing a lot of people on soundcloud who are making decent tunes but they are all so similar.

I understand what you are trying to say.....but surely that is what classifies a"genre"

But that's how we ended up with Pendulum...

But that's how we ended up with Pendulum...

And look at what they did for the scene?
They may have attracted a few dickheads but they gave D&B a kick up the arse. They are exceptional producers. They have made some music that I'm not overly keen on but Hold Your Colour is a very good album. Not many people have topped that productionwise even to this day.
Through the loop is probably one of my top 10 favourite D&B tunes ever

They may have attracted a few dickheads but they gave D&B a kick up the arse. They are exceptional producers. They have made some music that I'm not overly keen on but Hold Your Colour is a very good album. Not many people have topped that productionwise even to this day.

Oh, no, I completely agree with that.

But their follow-ups were very much rock-infused, which is what I was referring to.

Finally! Someone else recognises their talent! Rob Swire is easily one of the best DnB producers of all time.

back when they did dnb, certainly. masochist was so good we had our own dance to it. so there is that side to pendulum and then there is the other one which to me is utterly worthless (submermaid or wossname, the album before that etc). the stadium rock U2 type cowstep with bryan adams on vocals was a definite departure from 'good' though. in my opinion it was an unrelenting head long plunge into the fiery pits of populistic exploitive soulless sellout hell. that being said i dig the tune they did with inflames. mainly cos i like the gothenburg melodic death metal sound, but still.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

to get this thread back on track, how to make tracks like hybrid is anyones guess, being sincerely dope is key i think, but high pitched punchy drums seem important and if you sit down and make a few different reeces (detune 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 saw/pulse/square/triangle waves, chorus, distort, filter and repeat basically) and write a bassline when you stab away with the different basses with filters and so, could be thats a good place to start. im guessing blindly here btw, i could never hope to do something as good as hybrid.

I would like to visit you mind one day Logikz. Maybe have dinner with your brain. It will have to do the cooking. I think it will be a sweetcorn sandwich.
After the sandwich is consumed we will vacate into the bedroom and make sweet love until you wake up.

It isn't a nightmare if you enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom