How to start producing?

ganjatek

I`d like to start to produce some easy tunes on my pc and im wondering if you could recommend some programms to start with????And maybe the basic steps how to make a tune!!!

till the day that i die,no lie!!!!!!:rave:

well, you'll need some sort of midi sequencer first and foremost (cubase, logic etc etc). then you'll need some sort of midi interface and controller. seeing as you've not stated a budget, i cant be of much more help than that.

there are plenty of free sequencers out there, but i'm not sure of how much use they are.

you dont need a midi controller to start with, just a sequencer

id recommend fruityloops 7 personally :)

best thing is to get Reason.
one program, you wont have to mess with any other software, and you can use it with your existing sound card, altho, maybe at some point you might wanna spend around 50 quid on a half decent card, and maybe another 50 on a half decent MIDI keyboard.
but get reason of "cough" somewhere, and have some fun. if you see that you like it, start spending some money on it.
:thumbsup:

I’d recommend Reason 4, or Fruityloops. Get yourself a cheap midi controller (like a M-Audio Oxgyen8) and some cheap monitors (best to get into a shop and have a listen to some, but for people starting off M-Audio BX5s or Yamaha HS50s are cheap and sound good for the price).

nah get modplug tracker and cooledit 96, make sure your soundcard got full duplex and download simsynth2 stand alone, youll have all you need long as you got somewhere to sample breaks and stuff from.

For a beginner its much too complicated and expensive.

Like Logikz/Gordo said, a tracker/Fruity Loops are the best options. Reason is a great program but the actual track element sucks big balls. It took me a month to get my head around reason after using other programs for quite some time.

easiest way know the style you want to produce, the priorty is to start producing Drum & Bass and not having a single clue on what BPM it has to be etc, most producers these days jump straight onto the Producing scene as they think they will get onto a decent label just by the click of the fingers.

Other choice know the production software reasonably well, if not check youtube out for some more information on what you need to know the basics of the software, this is perfect if you can just start and get straight to work, or maybe have a university of college degree always handy and looks great on you C/V.

Also lastly quality Loops, Samples, Drums etc and equipment, Probably a good Midi Keyboard and processor I really recommend a Apple Macintosh just for the shear brutality it has and the quality in production materials it has. Logic 8 is probably the best production software out on the market but the closest you can get to Logic is probably either Reason 4, but amatuers use Fruity Loops (great for making drum lines or loops).

Hope this helps,
Peace&Dubs
DJ Tactix
X

yeah fruity loops is still a big programe even pro's use it for simple drum patterns and stuff :D

lol... even pros. as if they were something special. and i bet there are even "pros" using FL for the whole track. seriously, dont talk shit if you got no idea what youre talking about ... -.-

yeah fruity loops is still a big programe even pro's use it for simple drum patterns and stuff :D

Ever heard of Spor? or Phetsta or Bad Robot? all FL studio users.

Logisitics uses reason.

for someone to say that one particular sequencer / program is better than another is not really accurate. Its a bit like saying oranges beat apples, or ice cream beats pizza.. :-S

Spors music is hardly what I'd call simple though! lol

In my experience, its not about the sequencer you use, its how you use said program.

What you need to do is obtain the demo's of all of these programs. Play around with them, eventually you'll find one that suits your production style.

I'm familiar with most of the programs, and all of them are excellent. As far as sound quality and reliability goes, they are all much of a muchness.

I Personally LOVE the workflow of Ableton Live 7+ (I use v 8 suite) but thats just me.

I'm no FL fanboi (in fact i dont like the way it works..for me) but I know it has some of the most powerful automation out of any of the available sequencers.

But, as I said before, get the demos, and have a play with them, then make an informed choice.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom