How to start producing?

Ozzwills

Hey, I'm a huge dnb fan and have learnt how to mix but now ideally want to start production. I have never made electronic music before and wouldn't know where to start at all.

Anyone got any advice?

First thing I would suggest would be too try out a few DAW's to see which one you prefer, most have a trial version and will let you play about with it a bit to see which one you prefer (I use ableton live but everyone is different)

Once you have picked one watch loads of tutorial videos on how to do different things on the DAW and how to work your way around it, when your first starting its just getting yourself used to the DAW you are using, also would suggest buying an intro version at first just to make sure you like doing it (no point in splashing out loads of cash in something your only gonna do for a week or two)

Then when you know what your doing then start thinking about what equipment you need to buy e.g. soundcards, monitors, MIDI keyboards, samplers etc etc again think about things you think you need rather than you want (no point spending £100s of pounds on something you don't have a clue what it does but it looks cool)

Then just take it from there and have fun!

FL = Fruity Loops

some other DAW's are ableton and cubase

It doesnt matter which DAW you use. Only the workflow is different

I would recommand learning what is an EQ and how to use it and also what a compress does and how to use it. They are going to be two really helpful tools.
Also watch some tutorials about music production (It doesn't really matter if it's a dnb tutorial or not, in the end knowledge is knowledge). check out the Masterclass Thread (the ones from Reso are really good imo)
And also read a few things about music theory, it's gonna be easier for you to make tracks if you know a little about what music actually works.
:)

I'd see leave compression for now as that's quite advanced really.

Get your DAW working, get some drum samples and have fun. Learn how to use your mixer, learn about quantising, find your built in instruments in the daw, should be a piano, synth etc. and have a bash.

I'd see leave compression for now as that's quite advanced really.

Get your DAW working, get some drum samples and have fun. Learn how to use your mixer, learn about quantising, find your built in instruments in the daw, should be a piano, synth etc. and have a bash.
- This

buy a midi keyboard and good headphones, quit your social life, quit your gf, only leave the house to get food

Ya gotta free yo mindd maynnnn :rasta:

Yeah get yaself some bang on samples raise the tempo and create! :D

Back
Top Bottom