how to sequence pre drop drums?

chromey

a.k.a Impact
VIP Junglist
Yo.
Been wondering about how best to program drums that start to build slowly and speed up just before the first (or second) drop.. 'build' is it called? dunno :confused:

I keep fucking up on the timings..
I've not had much luck with my tests and I feel I must be doing something wrong.
Any tips lads?

(Im using Reason4.)

Yo.
Been wondering about how best to program drums that start to build slowly and speed up just before the first (or second) drop.. 'build' is it called? dunno :confused:

I keep fucking up on the timings..
I've not had much luck with my tests and I feel I must be doing something wrong.
Any tips lads?

(Im using Reason4.)

do you mean say go from 150bpm to 174 bpm?
or like 8th notes going to 16th notes?
find some examples which you like from you tube and stick them in this thread :)

so the tunes at 174bpm already (set in the transport)
the intro is finishing, coming up to 25bars (first drop at 33bars) and the drums are suddenly rising faster and build even more.. then BAM the drop occurs at 33.

Is that done by going from 8ths to 16th's? Not sure of the terminology

did that not make sense? :confused:

Its the fact that the (kick) drums suddenly pick up pace before a drop.
Thats what I want advice on. Just general timings thats all.

Fwiw, I'm using several layered breaks (REX files) for my drums, not single hits (n00b I know).

just layer kicks underneath ur beat with the volume rising but theres so many different ways ur drums can be before a drop its quite hard to say wat u need for ur tune.

did that not make sense? :confused:

Its the fact that the (kick) drums suddenly pick up pace before a drop.
Thats what I want advice on. Just general timings thats all.

Fwiw, I'm using several layered breaks (REX files) for my drums, not single hits (n00b I know).

i made something for you..
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M53HKERP

its nothing great.. just a bit of piano and drums

listen and work it out.. :)

ps.. dont steal my breaks :)

you can do anything at a drop....

risers of course, a snare at the end of the last bar, bring in a low pass on drums getting lower until the drop then bring it back up,make the drums slow down before the drop even like original sin has done in his latest tunes...

you can do anything at a drop....

risers of course, a snare at the end of the last bar, bring in a low pass on drums getting lower until the drop then bring it back up,make the drums slow down before the drop even like original sin has done in his latest tunes...

Yeah usually filters man, among other things. pretty much what everyone else said.(y)

yea, filter drops can give the sound of it slowing down or speeding up depending on ur parameter settings without actualy having to fuck wiv the time sigs at all. start the beat slow with a heavy lpf and then double the timing whilst bringing the lpf up. that should do it. well i think thats wot ur goin for. safe

also a wicked hi hat loop can make the build up seem a lot faster than it actually is.
sometimes i have the drum build up going 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 or whatever then make a hi hat/shuffle loop and add a cutoff filter to it...start bringing it in at 1/8 and have it at the peak as soon as it reaches 1/16...it makes it seem a lot faster than it actually is.

im kinda drunk atm sorry if this is hard to understand

also try doing the classic 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 build but then drop into a drum fill before dropping into the main section.. check out vault by pendulum

Back
Top Bottom