How to reproduce this simple bassline?

djkrpt

This bass sound has been around for decades (I can say that now I think), but I've always wondered how it's done. Here's a more recent example, but this sound can be traced back to old Full Cycle and stuff like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o6I_qqTI7s

Sounds like it could be 2 sine wavs slightly out of phase with each other... it's probably an easy one but I'd love to know if anyone's got this down!

PS Not the 1st bass sound of the bar but the following pitch-down-y one :D

What's your theory?

It's exactly what you said 2 sine waves out of phase the second one you want is it being played a lil lower in the scale. If you're not getting good results with a sine you could low pass a single square and put a tiny amount of frequency shift on it, it's a lil harder to control but at least it's different.

I was expecting to click the link and find a Netsky track. You've come at a bad time Mr Krpt....

Haha... well sorry if I rubbed anyone up the wrong way. I don't think I've ever even heard a Netsky tune to be honest... well, maybe just in passing.

The whole bass track in this tune sounds like it's been low passed a little anyway, so maybe I could have some decent results with other wave types. Thanks for ya help!

Well if you create a sine wave get it fat sounding export it. Stick what you've done in a sampler then just play 2notes one above the other and make the top note's velocity lower than the bottom note. Instant wobble.

Just had another listen if i was near my PC i could give you a step by step. Look at adding some resonance and a reverb on a send that you can cut the lows out of. Should achieve the same noise.

Last edited:
After reading Sammy's description, I think I'm listening to a different part. Are we discussing the 1st bass, or the second wobble?

If it's the latter, I'd be sure on saying it's a low passed Reece bass (3 oscillators all on saw waves, one detuned up by 6 cents one down by 6, one neutral.) lowpass filter on it with an LFO on the cutoff of the LP filter

Well if you create a sine wave get it fat sounding export it. Stick what you've done in a sampler then just play 2notes one above the other and make the top note's velocity lower than the bottom note. Instant wobble.

Just had another listen if i was near my PC i could give you a step by step. Look at adding some resonance and a reverb on a send that you can cut the lows out of. Should achieve the same noise.

And for more control use one trigger note, two oscillators (sine) and gradually detune the second oscillator cent by cent until you get the wobble speed you want.

Or pitch them both the same and modulate the second oscillator pitch with an envelope.

Awesome, I never used this method before and I just learnt something cool.

Repped Sammy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom