How to replicate this guitar sound?

Cant help much with the synthesiser, but sounds like he is really picking that very quickly, also sounds like it has been layered up, one clean and one or more effected layers with it. There is like a filtered version moving around with it, sounds high passed maybe, might just be a Wah sweep he is doing.

Just sounds like a lot of reverb to me, with some stereo widening and/or lfo on the pan, maybe some EQ to bring out the ressy freqs too

sup guys anyone know any nice guitar vsts or samples that sound like this, or how i can replicate this sound in a synth (i use massive mainly)
its the kinda droning reverb drenched ambient sounding guitar that starts at 2.30 in this track
Not sure about how to replicate it with a synth, but if you can then just borrow a guitar from a friend and record it. Put lots of reverb, chorus and delay on it (either in your VST or from the guitar amp/effects) then pick across 2 to 4 strings with a basic chord shape quickly as others have mentioned, so that it creates a pad-like effect. Shouldnt matter if you cant play very well as you are trying to create a big atmospheric sound rather than playing a lot of notes or chord changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqYjQgAFk9w
This video shows the kind of picking technique to use - its more metal oriented so the chords he is playing are a bit evil sounding, but the same technique can be applied with different chords to create something more lush sounding (check out anything by Devin Townsend for good atmospheric pad-type guitar work)

Last edited:
not that i'm gonna be able to give you a complete guide as to how to make this sound but FM synthesis seems to be the most suitable for guitar/plucking sounds so FM8 would be a good place to start.

I would say something like spyre said. And probably they layered it with itself but reversed. Because that "sucking" feel sounds like reversed reverb to me. It's a great track btw!

I can tell you what he's doing my friend...or moreso, what they're doing.

Sounds like there are two guitars in the mix here, we'll call them A, and B.

Guitar A sounds like it is playing an octave power chord, which is like a typical power chord except you remove the "fifth" so that only the low & high octave (same note) of the chord are playing. In this case, the tone suggests it's an octave power chord played somewhere on the low end of the guitar (ex. Somewhere on E, between frets 1 and 4). To add, they're playing this chord extremely fast. There is also chance it is simply a guitarist plucking a single low end note coated with lots of distortion.

Guitar B is playing an octave power chord as well, but at a higher pitch, essentially adding a bit harmony to the whole sequence/progression. This player is also strumming at a very fast tempo and more than likely has added a bit or reverb (perhaps leslie pedal/FX) and a bit of chorus/delay to widen up that sound.

If your DAW can simulate Q-Flam with MIDI (ex. Logic) look into that, as it can somewhat replicate the strum of a guitar. You would want to program it to be dominantly "down" strums.

If you were to do this in a synth environment, you'd want two synths (one for the high part one for the low part). Perhaps a very short attack/release time, probably 2 OSC (saw + sqr) and then really just flavoring it with your choice of filters, distortion, etc. Perhaps mod the filter with a key tracker so that it opens up more the higher the note that is played (like a wah pedal).

IMO, to really get that true guitar octave strum sound, you need to record it from an actual guitar. VSTi's have certainly come a long way...but there are certain sounds that are best suited to be performed by the real instrument.

Cheers.

Last edited:
it's tremelo with a shitload of spring reverb. you just thrash the string you want really fast basically.

certainly there isn't much substitute for a real guitar imo. but I think bloc party use stratocasters, which have been widely multi/hypersampled, so grab one of those. anything sophisticated should hopefully have some tremelo notes. just use something like a 1/32 note I guess..

here's what is actually is;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQkMUjBxq8

and check 2:07 here for another example;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HaW5alLnC0

maccabees/bombay bicycle club use it a lot...i think maybe Twin Atlantic do to?

Guitar A sounds like it is playing an octave power chord, which is like a typical power chord except you remove the "fifth" so that only the low & high octave (same note) of the chord are playing. In this case, the tone suggests it's an octave power chord played somewhere on the low end of the guitar (ex. Somewhere on E, between frets 1 and 4). To add, they're playing this chord extremely fast. There is also chance it is simply a guitarist plucking a single low end note coated with lots of distortion.

Just tried plaing with the octave power chord - sounds awesome! Gonna use that on my next tune
:gslayer:

Back
Top Bottom