How to remix

MentalFrame

Hey guys!

I wanna do my first remix of a song I heard and loved many years ago.

And here starts my problem. I just don't know how to begin.
The original song is written in 129 bpm and I wanna remix it in 174 ppm
How do I extract the vocals?
There is a drum sound behind the vocals that makes it impossible to extract them.

What can I do?

I am using Ableton 9 Live btw.

Thanks!

You can't just buy the song off itunes then remix it. You need the stems: the individual separate tracks of each part.

Generally speaking you can contact the label and ask them to send you the stems. (they can turn you down, and if it's a famous song they probably will tbh)

Sometimes an artist will let the general public do remixes for a competition in which case the stems will be floating about the internet somewhere.
but otherwise, it's pretty tough getting hold of them.

Yea I know, it's a lot easier with stems. But this song is pretty the old and the band splittet in 1982

I thought I can remix any song without any issues as long as I'm not making money with it.

And there are many remixes, done without stems. It must work

There aren't actually very many remixes done without the stems, because it's almost impossible to extract the vocals/ other elements nicely.
Best thing you can try is chop them up and then maybe use an EQ to remove bass and some of the kick. Then once you have the rest of the remix in place in theory no-one will notice the parts you couldn't remove, but in reality it's almost always very difficult to do this this way.

Back
Top Bottom