How to protect your ears

Apostata

Hi guys,

I came across a good article today, because I have been working on some pretty distorted bass sounds, too loud, too long and my ears feel numb now. So I went on the net, to find out which levels I should use, so that I can comfortably work for hours.

This one pretty much covers it and I think anyone who cares about music and wants to be able to listen to it at the age of 90+ (assuming one lives to get so old), should know how much even a subtle difference in volume, can damage the hearing.

http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-protect-your-ears--audio-3415

Last edited:
And that's why I compose, mix and master my tracks at a very low volume.

@ManuForti can corroborate this to you: once I sent him a track I was working that was so low in volume he had to put a limiter and crank up the gain volume knob to be able to listen to anything.

How do you hear subtle differences when mixing on such a low volume? Unfortunatelly I live in an old building and I have quite some background noise from the street, so I have to turn the volume up, but I was thinking about buying a decibel meter, to leave the volume at just the right amount.

How do you hear subtle differences when mixing on such a low volume? Unfortunatelly I live in an old building and I have quite some background noise from the street, so I have to turn the volume up, but I was thinking about buying a decibel meter, to leave the volume at just the right amount.

You just get used to it. I live in a quiet street, but my headphones are open, so I basically can listen my neighbor yealling at her dog while doing music.

also, mixing at low volumes help you to know if things are in the right levels and all.

Can you recommend any open headphones? I have two, but both are closed and I can't work with them for too long, really want to get some open headphones with a wide frequency range.

Can you recommend any open headphones? I have two, but both are closed and I can't work with them for too long, really want to get some open headphones with a wide frequency range.
I use the Beyerdynamics 880DT Pro. Very good, flat response. You have two versions: 32ohms and 250ohms (or 280, can't remember). The 32ohms is driven very well by your computer, but you'll probably need an interface for the 250ohms.

And that's why I compose, mix and master my tracks at a very low volume.

@ManuForti can corroborate this to you: once I sent him a track I was working that was so low in volume he had to put a limiter and crank up the gain volume knob to be able to listen to anything.

its true... quiet song but ive heard the masters and thyere very good.

Back
Top Bottom