How to properly use sample packs?

Krispy

VIP Junglist
Recently I purchased a DnB sample pack (BHK Special Edition: Drum 'N' Bass Vol 2). My question is how do I properly use and or edit the drum loops that come with this pack?

Lets say I find a drum loop that I like, what if I want to create a breakdown from this loop or add additional sounds to this drum loop?

Would it be recommended to pick this drum loop apart into its basic elements (ie. sample out the kick, snare etc... and create my own drum rack) or is there (hopefully) another way of going about doing this?

I am relatively new to the usage of sample packs and just wondering what the normal practice is for going about using something like this.

do what ever you want mate, no rules, use the sounds just as you would use any other sample, no such thing as normal practice, just make em your own.

If u find a break etc that you like, load it into Recycle for example if you have it, create ya slices, set ya BPM and save as a Rex file.

Import the same Rex file into Reason's DR Rex Player (i think i remember u sayin u have Reason), and add it to your track. Then double click it and you will see all your slices, now u can then go about editing it how u wanna' (move kicks, snares, hats etc..) make it your own.

Heres a link to Recycle incase u aren't familiar with it......

Last edited:
Sooooo many different ways to use and arrange a break.

You should find some decent hits, slice up the break, replace with other hits until you get it sounding nice, then get another break and eq all of the bass out of it (High Pass) then layer it ontop.

That is one way you can go about it.

great question. much better than asking whats the best samplepack cos heres the thing, just taking a break a bass and a pad from a samplepack danny byrd made wacking it in a song and calling it 'your song' doesnt cut it.
like hipnotic said hed never use a dnb samplepack for dnb, but a dnb samplepack for a house tune or an electro tune, now were talking.
imo you can use dnb samplepack for dnb and keep your integrity if you do it creatively. find nice hits from the breaks when you cut them to shreds and you can do cool loops with the pads with pitching and filtering generally after enough processing to call it your own and noone can ever samplespot you unless you want it, like classic jungle blarps and hoovers and vox and things you put in to set the tone kind of thing.

great question. much better than asking whats the best samplepack cos heres the thing, just taking a break a bass and a pad from a samplepack danny byrd made wacking it in a song and calling it 'your song' doesnt cut it.
like hipnotic said hed never use a dnb samplepack for dnb, but a dnb samplepack for a house tune or an electro tune, now were talking.
imo you can use dnb samplepack for dnb and keep your integrity if you do it creatively. find nice hits from the breaks when you cut them to shreds and you can do cool loops with the pads with pitching and filtering generally after enough processing to call it your own and noone can ever samplespot you unless you want it, like classic jungle blarps and hoovers and vox and things you put in to set the tone kind of thing.

Couldnt of put it better myself. Its all about creating ur own beats from chops and slices of breaks. maybe using an underlying layer of a full break to give it some oooompth but then eq out the parts that you want. i never use full breaks in my beats and i never use sample pack bass or synths. its all about Z3TA+ for the noises :) maybe use the sample pack synths/bass as a guide and then when you find the sound you like, try to replicate it using a vst. most of the time you'll probably come up with a sound you like more than the sample when trying to replicate it. i think this makes sense lol

and with regards to how to chop/sample the breaks the easiest way i found is DRREX2 on reason 3 or 4 for entry level. Cheers

Last edited:
. its all about Z3TA+ for the noises :) maybe use the sample pack synths/bass as a guide and then when you find the sound you like, try to replicate it using a vst. most of the time you'll probably come up with a sound you like more than the sample when trying to replicate it. i think this makes sense lol
Absolutely. If you can't be bothered to play around with a soft synth to create some sounds then you may as well give up. :)

Back
Top Bottom