how to produce with a partner

mAEx

hey guys,

me and a friend of mine want to build a duo
has anyone of you some tips how to produce in a duo?

some information about us:

- i use cubase, he uses propellerhead reason
- we live in the same town but must go to school, so we can meet us about 1or 2 times a week but we work the most time at our own in the evening of the other days on which we can't meet us
- we both played instruments for years and started nearly at the same time (beginning of this year) with producing and my knowledge about producing is equal to his knowledge
- we are good friends
- we have the same taste of music
- we both have good ideas

we also want try us with djing, have you guys also some tips about djing in a duo?

thanks for your help

i hope you could understand everything :D
greets from germany

i'd say both come up with ideas, then your partner exports them as audio and brings em round yours and go from there

i say get ur friend off reason pronto....................program is way to limited!!!!

i do agree with you but however logistics seems to have come out with some pretty cool stuff on reason.

then again, he might use it as a slave to a real mans daw.

try and get on the same daw. what ever u plugins u buy make sure u get 2 licences. just share everything basically.
as for djing im not sure. maybe work some kinda set where you use your instrument knowledge and blend it into a "live" set. its all about bringing something fresh to the scene.

add Lenzman and technicolor and komatic to that list, they dont rewire either to my knowledge. nothing wrong with reason, there all making tunes better that ours so it cant be the daws fault..

Five Bits of Advice from One Half of a Duo:

1. Make sure you both are using the same DAW.

2. Get to know Dropbox. For Msmith222 and myself, it's the best/most efficient method to transferring project files back and forth.

3. If one of you has a plugin that the other does not, be sure to save a copy of the project file with a bounced track so that they will be able to still work with the tune, despite lacking the necessary plugin.

4. Play off each other's strengths. If one of you is better at the musical side of things (composing, writing progressions, etc.) and the other is better at the technical stuff (automation, etc.) play to those strengths. However, also take the time to demonstrate how you achieved that progression/created sound, respectfully.

5. If you get stuck on a tune or hit a bit of writer's block, shelf that shit for a bit and start a new tune. No point in wasting energy/time/patience on a tune that has hit a bit of a wall, so put that effort into something new.

Cheers.

Five Bits of Advice from One Half of a Duo:

1. Make sure you both are using the same DAW.

2. Get to know Dropbox. For Msmith222 and myself, it's the best/most efficient method to transferring project files back and forth.

3. If one of you has a plugin that the other does not, be sure to save a copy of the project file with a bounced track so that they will be able to still work with the tune, despite lacking the necessary plugin.

4. Play off each other's strengths. If one of you is better at the musical side of things (composing, writing progressions, etc.) and the other is better at the technical stuff (automation, etc.) play to those strengths. However, also take the time to demonstrate how you achieved that progression/created sound, respectfully.

5. If you get stuck on a tune or hit a bit of writer's block, shelf that shit for a bit and start a new tune. No point in wasting energy/time/patience on a tune that has hit a bit of a wall, so put that effort into something new.

Cheers.

this guy has NO IDEA what he's talking about... :)

actually, i would add two things. first, be HONEST and tell the other person if you can't live with something. also, be OPEN MINDED because when you get something back from your mate it may not be what you expect, especially if you are listening to the last version for a few days.

i guess the last one only applies when you guys are far apart...

The most important thing is that you guys are together, have fun, discuss your ideas and ask your partner "What if...?" questions if you don't like a particular idea of his, or you think you have a better idea. If you get a vibe going that you are both satisfied with it's easy from there on.

i'd say both come up with ideas, then your partner exports them as audio and brings em round yours and go from there

This....

most of the time, one is better than the other in some aspect, find those aspects and learn to build from there.. Your lucky to have someone to work with..

Yeah the best thing is just to enjoy working with a partner. This is best achieved by swapping your partner for another one. With breasts. And Weed. And Coke. Actually no coke.

Okay, thank you guys
some good ideas from you

don't you think it's good to work with 2 daw's so you can use the advantage from every daw?

Okay, thank you guys
some good ideas from you

don't you think it's good to work with 2 daw's so you can use the advantage from every daw?

Depends really man, I use 3 DAW's, FL, Reason and Logic, it all depends on what you are comfortable with and what synths/effects that are built into them you like using (i use Thor in reason for all my bass, rewired into FL for arrangement, fx etc, learning logic now)

we sit 4 guys in front of 1 computer. drink and get skied to fk. splinter smoke madddddd weed. then we have a kind of... jam, i guess you could call it. but in the beginning we all tried to pull in different directions, so it took like two years before we as a band (because it is a band really) got on the same page.
basically, when youre not holding the mouse, get a pen and a paper. try not to do more than 40 minutes - an hour per person unless you are doing what someone else is telling you, that is working together and should not count as you hogging the computer. if you dont like whats happening right now, hold your tongue, wait until the element the person currently is working on is done, and even then, wait with editing it until its your turn. if its your element that you really like and spent ages on, just ask the person to clone it and he can edit the clone. never sit there like a twit and refuse for anyone else to change your work. you have to share a common goal but the details is anybodys guess, specially when youre working with more than two people. basically, the end result can be precisely what you wanted, or, and this is important, really good anyway. even if its impossible to say what it came out as. so keep an open mind, but try and discuss what youre going to do before you start. its ok to say 'lets do konflict with orchestral instrumentation' or 'lets do konflict' even. because it wont sound like konflict anyway, they are too good.

Reason is a real interesting one.

I used to think i could hear the difference, and in some peoples tunes you really can, but on the other hand you can get some sick results out of it.

New one looks big anyway, been meaning to have a look at it actually.

yeah its bullshit, what if you did your entire track on a tube compressor and into an emu sampler, then record that into reason oh shit wait no audio recording in reason, is this not so? argument invalid, i am the president of asia

Back
Top Bottom