how to make ultimate bass synth

fizzix

hey folks, just seeing if (and im sure you can) help me figure out this crazy warping rythmic distorted bass sound is made. good example is basicaly ne thing like old skool pendulum, optical. particuarly the one in bacteria remix by those two. its driving me insane, the rest of my production is sweet but i cant seem to figure the warping part out. Filter cuts? flanger?

not sure what u mean by warping when refering to ed rush & optical, but from what i think u mean its probably bass (reece) split into 3 (high, mid, low) then automate crossovers between them all to get a twisty kinda fkd up bass sound.

its easier than you think, you know. with the different filtered copies,
you got the basic notion of it down, krease. i reckon there are as many methods as there are producers, i found the secret to my technique in simple volume envelopes

lol....

what i meant was you said your teqnique was to use the volume, but like you said theres various ways to achieve the same sound...

yeah i don't know any other way to describe it. i know what a reese is and can make one without much trouble but the part im questioning is really popular within dnb these days and it make a sort of slow "wub" sound rythmicaly to the song. I'm thinkin it's a filter automation of some sort but i just cant get that definition and clarity. another good referance is (im sorry about the mainstreaMness of it) but in toxic shock by pendulum @ 1:42 through and out the rest of the song. they use it in most trax but it really sounds as tho they are automating something or maybe they just use a crazy synth theyv made. and in response to Krease i was wundering what it is in the reese, exactly, that i automate. theres like 15 diff knobs?????????

yeah i don't know any other way to describe it. i know what a reese is and can make one without much trouble but the part im questioning is really popular within dnb these days and it make a sort of slow "wub" sound rythmicaly to the song.

don't be afraid to automate as many parameters as it takes to get the movement you want in ur sound - for taht "wub" kinda sound have u tried playing with the lfo filters?

yeah thanx a ton logikz/ketz, those links were quite handy, plus i got z3ta. that things amazing. dunno bout the volume cutouts tho, prob just coz it's the demo. i now realise theres no quick fix, time is the essence

hey i just saw u asked what paramaters u should automate to get movement - well everyone uses their preferred ones...

sometimes automating parameters in stages (resampling - export, re-import etc) could work for you. try maybe a Band Pass lfo filter so you have some wobble on ur reece, export then try sweeping a notch filter through it for a bit of a morph, pitch bending is actually quite an obvious choice to twist ur sound alongside filter automation

anyways, the best surprises come when u experiment - so keep on experimenting and i'm sure u will stumble on some nasty sounds! :D

Back
Top Bottom