How to make this distorted 808?

I literally made this in 2 minutes.

All you have to do is get a bog standard 808 kick drum then overdrive it and add a bit of compression and make up gain to make it pound.

This is the export of what I made in Reason in 2 minutes.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1DW8sHtnfLi

The signal path was like this.

1z4x0zl.png

kick>pitch>distort

but don't copy other people...do something interesting :P what about using a frequency shifter instead of pitch shift, make it drop in steps rather than smooth, or like you original mentioned, use a phaser to sweep down, or bit crush, or resonator, or all of them together, all going in different directions...or something else completely :)

but don't copy other people...do something interesting :p what about using a frequency shifter instead of pitch shift, make it drop in steps rather than smooth, or like you original mentioned, use a phaser to sweep down, or bit crush, or resonator, or all of them together, all going in different directions...or something else completely :)
Ffs. While reading this I was imagining the clones in Star Wars franchise shooting at random directions and not hitting one single thing. lol

Before anything else: it's not that you're wrong, it's just because of the thousands of different things you mentioned that can actually work pretty well.

kick>pitch>distort

but don't copy other people...do something interesting :p what about using a frequency shifter instead of pitch shift, make it drop in steps rather than smooth, or like you original mentioned, use a phaser to sweep down, or bit crush, or resonator, or all of them together, all going in different directions...or something else completely :)

I was just thinking about this, but now since you said it, it's not that original so I'm gonna save some CPU and won't do it. Shit I might actually just remove the whole kick straight away. I just realized other people use kickdrums in their music too. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom