How to make these cut up homo-vocals?

Discussion in 'Production' started by JimpaDirt, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

How do you turn cutted up vocals into a melody like in my example here down below? I'ts heard in atleast one track of evry mainstream dubstep producer. What is it called? And what technique do you use to make this effect? I'm using FL9 by the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKkvTlTsz4

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

'auto-tune', essentially you add an auto-tuner to the vocal channel, then feed a midi signal in to change the melody

please dont do it :p

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  3. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

haha thanks mate! I was just curious about the technique, skrillex and he's friends are highlu overrated anyways!

4. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

I've got a few tunes with this sort of thing in, my process is usually just to cut the crap out of a vocal sample with the scissor tool and make short vowel sounds etc, transpose them in a drum machine to fit and build a melody out of that....

5. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

6. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

Vocal cuts. It's quite a common technique in trance, where it is probably used better then in dubstep, where it's been combined by god-awful auto-tune processing.

Basically, do as StrifeII said and chop the hell out of your vocal sample, then rearrange them in an order that sounds good, you don't always have to transpose the pitch but it helps sometimes. Also you can get some really interesting results by reversing some of the "hits".