Multi Genre How To Make Mid 90s Techstep Bass

dont know about massive. gods that is a good tune. i just dont like the amen, but you should try some other synths than massive, i cant belive youre asking how to make it "in massive" - not how to make it - but how to make it in massive. if you know how to reece, trying a few other synths will get you where you want. old synths btw. real old.

My reese is pretty still sounding like this i tried it on the the thor synth with some of that scream distortion on reason but still pretty much sounding the same

Those guys used to use old guitar pedals for distortion. I'd imagine that bass is either from a sample or out of a Juno synth.

Massive is alright but much better for clean, clinical stuff than utter dirt like this. It's too sterile to do the No U Turn sound properly.

I'm not speaking from experience but if the recommendation is to try a juno + guitar pedal but you're stuck with software then maybe try u-he's diva + native instruments' guitar rig... or omnisphere (old analog synth samples) + guitar rig

But just remember, these would of been done with a solid synth ie virus or something (don't quote me on that), some sort of distortion pedal/unit (as others have mentioned) then run through sampler into a analogue mixing desk with the gain running a little bit hot (Yamaha desks are good for this).

Last edited:
I'm not an expert at all at those reeces, but my guess with vsts it is a pretty standard, heavily detuned reece, with loads of distortion, and EQing, compressing. I usually kill alot of the mid frequencies and resonate lowpass filter taking the his. I don't think/hope it would be thread-hijacking since it's on-topic, so; would be really curious to know how you other guys usually EQ these?

For distortion, btw, try out "analtortion". I use it for a lot of stuff that needs to sound downright nasty, especially synths and voices. You need to get a little used to the modulation of this distortion, and the filter included (I usually remove the "Xtra" and "PCH" thingy, though it is sometimes useful), but it has become a staple for me.

I'm not an expert at all at those reeces, but my guess with vsts it is a pretty standard, heavily detuned reece, with loads of distortion, and EQing, compressing. I usually kill alot of the mid frequencies and resonate lowpass filter taking the his. I don't think/hope it would be thread-hijacking since it's on-topic, so; would be really curious to know how you other guys usually EQ these?

For distortion, btw, try out "analtortion". I use it for a lot of stuff that needs to sound downright nasty, especially synths and voices. You need to get a little used to the modulation of this distortion, and the filter included (I usually remove the "Xtra" and "PCH" thingy, though it is sometimes useful), but it has become a staple for me.

I usually tend to do i light smiley EQ with a deep notch round 470, with varying Q. This consistently gives me a sound which really suites my style and sits front in the mix. Generally it depends on the tone, voices, and how detuned it is. One of the best ways to get different styles of reeces is just sifting through different amps, in guitar rig, amp designer, amplitube, whatever (of course without the cabinet).

The reese in the track definitely had a mid cut, and was more detuned then voicy. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he used an amp to get that tone.

I usually tend to do i light smiley EQ with a deep notch round 470, with varying Q. This consistently gives me a sound which really suites my style and sits front in the mix. Generally it depends on the tone, voices, and how detuned it is. One of the best ways to get different styles of reeces is just sifting through different amps, in guitar rig, amp designer, amplitube, whatever (of course without the cabinet).

The reese in the track definitely had a mid cut, and was more detuned then voicy. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he used an amp to get that tone.

+1

And nice to hear from another guitar-rig user :D
Since I use Cubase, I sometimes use the Ampsimulator included. It will alter the sound heavily, though, so I wouldn't use it for a light impression of that "amp" sound. The cabinets I mostly use for drums, but they can be used for ebil reeces, imo. It's gonna make the signal mono, though, which can be annoying at times.

Back
Top Bottom