Drum & Bass How to make drums Not Flat

Discussion in 'Production' started by Kopacetic, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Kopacetic

Kopacetic Member

I recently got a feedback from a good man saying that my drums were flat. To be honest, I don't get what he meant by this, so this is why I'm asking you.

What is a flat drum, and how to fix it?

You can hear the song I featured
    https://soundcloud.com/kopacetic/ga-...or-few/s-vRYct

2. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

cant listen but its all about henny layering, and dynamics, such a side chain reverbs, saturation and such

3. Kopacetic

Kopacetic Member

Please explain more? Especially henny layering and dynamics.

4. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

lol layering ie - getting 2 or 3 or 8 kick drums mix them down so there no clashing frequencies then bounce down and you have 1 HENNY kick drum (full of the complex dynamics of 2 or 3 or 8 sounds) same with almost all drum parts...

dynamics ie. movement, character etc... send your drums to a parallel compression buss, new york compression technique look it up... also you can buss them to an over drive, to a short style reverb that will all add charater to your drums,

the 2 combined with a good mixdown will = not flat drums

5. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

number 1 rule with drums......start with something shit and youl end up with something shit. You cant polish a turd comes to mind with drums. Start with good samples, layer a couple as Jhepz says and eq them with the rest of your track. If you have camelphat, clear the patch and add 1-3% of distortion to it, that adds a nice warmth (learnt from audios tutorial!)

6. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

after various trial and erros, and various heated discussion ive come to think its best to actually do this in a parallel rather than on the actual drum buss, the drum buss should be keeo imo as clean as possible but each to their own

7. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

i completely disagree with you on that one sorry! i always have a couple of bits on the drum bus. also compress on the drum bus to tighten everything back together........but thats just me

8. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

i have one drum buss as a submix, one as hardcore parallel, and one as a verb and the 3 mixed in with each other provides a big sound kit, with absolutely no loss of dynamics... haha like i said after various heated discussions :p

9. ShirPan

ShirPan Member

what do you mean by hardcore parallel? submix=clean? cheers ;)

10. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

like i mentioned check the new york compression technique... i also overdrive that buss then i mix it down into the submix = submix is all my drums sent to one aux channel

11. nukleamojo

nukleamojo Producer & Blogger Super Joshi

Yes compression and EQ are the key for making your drums brighter. You may also want to check the tuning of the drums. Although this is rarely a problem it could have something to do with the drums sounding literally "flat".

12. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Splitting frequencies on drums can really help bring something to life. So instead of using one kick into one mix channel. Use one kick into two, three, or four mix channels. Divided into low medium and high, each one with their own eq, dynamics, and stereo processing. This can make drums come to life too.

13. tarantula2013

tarantula2013 Member

Compression + EQ

14. usualsuspects

usualsuspects Sippin

Compression and a good mix