How to make certain bass sounds?? pls help

Discussion in 'Production' started by Freek, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Ez peeps, been producin for quite a few years now, have got the musical side of things down and the beats, but am struggling to create some decent bass sounds. am runnin dry on ideas. i can get the basslines but just the sounds are proving hard to make. was hoping some of you might help me by showing me how the following bass sounds are made. I currently use Z3TA+ to make my basses, any tips on better vsts would be helpfull aswell. Please dont lecture me about "its better to make your own bass sounds and be individual" cos i already know this. i just want to broaden my knowlege of vst synths and the structures to create specific beefy bass sounds.
    anyways here's the ones im interested in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN3iSzyoQQM
    the main ring bass on this would be very helpfull, also what layers of other basses are being used? Has an lfo been set on the sub to follow the main bassline? or does it just roll underneath it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWEBw4lmY8
    How the hell do you create that main LFO sound??? ive been trying for years and have never sussed it!! someone please help me with this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7l4ouZJKlE
    again that lfo bass!!! wow wow wow wow!! how???!!! im not interested in the rraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrwwww sound, just the lfo bass.

Any help on this would be fantastic! im creating a sample pack of rex2 jumpup beats that ive created over the years if anyones interested.

Cheers peeps

2. lowprofile

lowprofile jump up duttyness!!!!

ez maaaan i think i got a few presets i made that sound bit like this!!,ill hook u up with em wen i sorted though em,also got massive u use that? ill trhow some samples your way for that too? love to hear your jump up beats!!

3. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Ez mate, yea, have got massive on my system so shuld really start using it lol. my jumpup beats are up, if you have a look on the production section there's a thread for them.

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Bass sounds are my weak point too! I find Sytrus a good synth to use for bass, but that only helps you if you use FL Studio!

I find a good vst with 3 oscillators does the trick, one on sine wave, two on saw waves detuned slightly. Then automate the LFO on 1/4 - 1/8 on a band pass or low pass (usually 12-24 db)

5. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

imho the main thing isnt to put the lfos in the right way, the main thing is to eq and FX them properly.

and with the evasion remix, that sub follows the lfo.

will do a more helpful post when i find the time, still 2 exams this week and i already did one this morning, fuck!

6. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

yep... basic principle of a 'wobble'! i prefer 1 x sin & 2 x square but whatever?

sub bass is where i suffer, i think it is lacking in proper monitoring equipment though?

7. lowprofile

ez man where them beats lol i cant find them,im at my mates at the mo,ill sort them out an send ya a bunch of massive sounds i done an some for z3ta asap

8. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

9. lowprofile

lol nice 1 maaaan thank you,so u producin then g?

10. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

yes mate... thing is i never finish a track so don't have much to show!

this is a WIP version of a remix of day and night, but it is a bit cheese! i'll link you up to some of my other shit when i bother to finish it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  11. lowprofile

im likin that man,were u get the accapella? need a copy of it!!! wat u use to make wobbly bass?

12. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

ableton live's operator synth... bit of bit-crushing, and a lot of 'accident'!

13. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Some of those sounds probably use envelopes rather than lfos, especially in the last two. Link an envelope with a bit of attack time to the filter cutoff. Then every note that you play will have that lfo, wah wah, sound at the beginning.

14. fisher

fisher I've been naughty, I'm banned

this thread needs more revtech, hes normally telling everybody how to make stuff