how to make a sub Bass fat and consistent.

What a stupid question... LOLOLOL jk jk jk!! :P

Ok so basically bro my best suggestion to you is to play with your synths! Get a full and complete feel the for sounds and frequency itself and how it works! You need not a single book to read about how sound works, etc. Just play and observe, like a scientist would do! Because in the end it does comes down to a science! Imagine a recipe for a tomato sauce with no flavour, just tomatoe sauce.. That analogy means just us telling you how to make a bass. The final dank, delicious recipe comes from truly the soul and what you think would appease one anothers soul and enrichments of sound and soul. The second analogy is basically playing with your bass recipe, and make it tight and fight to how you want it to be! Truly grab yourself an EQ, it is all about dynamics. One way is to boost to about 6 db a nice thick round mound of eq boosting the regions from ~35-50 for that deep and pure rumble. And if you really want to keep the full dynamics of the sound, unless you know what to do with a limiter then leave a limiter off (Limiter just gives a 'cage' for the sound not to escape and be at level. Basically like a train perfectly on its rails) Just yeah grab a sine, and boost the 35-50 about 6 db, then lower volume by 6 db so its equal and not now fattened up too much.

Hope that helps buddy! Hit me up if you want more information! Some of the times producers do use a limiter over their bass too, to give it that nice and solid, clean flat, thick bass that one really needs in a heavy bass environment, but it is not needed all the time. That's why I only say some of the time. :P

Dude, that bass is perfect brother!!! lmaooo just realize how perfect it is, how it is a more solid higher octave and at certain awesome points it just drops deep! That's what people love! Thats just an awesome ass bassline brother! Just truly in this case boost to ~6 db around the 35-50 region and lower volume by ~6 and youre more then good bro! Awesome song!

Last edited:
Using operator in Ableton, setup a Sine at 0db on the first oscillator, then set the 2nd Oscillator to a square wave, up one octave from the Sine Wave, find the sweet spot on the volume of 2nd Osc, around -40 to -20 db sounds nicest to me, but set to taste. Then stick a low pass on it, maybe you want to add in the LFO. I did and turned off the routing to the osc, and just have it working on the Filter. You could also add some pitch bend to the sound, just a little to give it some punch. I also have a play around with the time knob, can give some interesting sounds changing that value.
The oscillators are configured in 4 in a row vertical line. That should be good in the Synth.
For some added processing I added a saturator(Warm up Lows setting in Ableton), then an EQ with a 6 db boost at 55hz, q is about 1.5, then a -24db Low pass filter at 200ish Hz so you get some of the added harmonics the Square brings in at the 2nd octave and above. Gives a nice low end, but you get a bit more to it with the FM of the square wave, and it gives it a bit more interest, especially on the smaller speakers!

I used a version of this Sub in this tune I made last week.

Last edited:
Compression usually does the trick for me, a bit of EQ'ing at certain frequencies once u got your melody down and you're good to go!

That should be good in the Synth.
GXC1c7

Careful with too much distortion, when it starts to break up, its gets flubby. Some subtle "warming up" of the signal with some saturation plugin, I have no idea what the Ableton saturator is based on, but some tube or tape saturation can give your sound that extra analogue feel = fatness!
Thinking about it, you could maybe use some sort of Blues Amp from a guitar package, with the guitar it gives it a nice feel, and really gets a nice tone. Why not some bass through something like that? Just enough to give it a bit of texture of the Valves(or emulators). Might have to fiddle with the Amps EQ a bit to get it to sound right. Might have a fiddle around when I am next off work.

Could be a mixdown problem if your bass is struggling to breathe.

+ Use a spectrum analyzer to check that the sub is loud between around 40-60hz

that sub bass in netsky sounds like a pretty clean sine, i cant imagine it took him 10 minutes

Sine Wave + Gentle Compression + Sidechain off Kick + Good Mixdown (sub just slightly hitting above kick) = sorted

Add a fifth (7 semitones and an octave above). Lowpass the subs at 330 or so, then take off -6db from a shelf at around 100 so you have a tad of low mid content. Compress with a brickwall limiter or just add some flavor and punch with a regular compressor. Use maxxbass or some sort of harmonic exciter and make that low mid range filled out. Make mono

Back
Top Bottom