How to make a mix sound crisper?

muzzadj

VIP Junglist
I hear a lot of studio mixes get a fair amount of work on them after recording to get them sounding nice and probably a bit of EQing? What exactly is being done and what would sound good and how the fook can i do it with Cubase or Wavepad?

Cheers production crew

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Just realised how gay the title is lol

Well i dont use any add-ons
I control the main record out and keep careful view on my volumes
Straight into adobe audition and save as mp3 dolby digital file
I hear some use Izotope ozone 4,
If i was to suggest a plug-in
Hands down the psp vintage warmer =]

I use both Ozone and Vintage warmer. I also check on voxengo span just to check how the song looks like.

I control the main record out and keep careful view on my volumes

By this what do you mean? personally I use a limiter on my output channel to make sure nothing goes above 0DB, but what do you mean by this? Do you make sure certain parts of the mix are at certain levels - say Sub-badd at -8DB and drums at 'X'DB etc etc.
If say what values do you use for this?
Cheers

Hmm depends on what you mean by 'crisp' I guess. To me it means the high's of the track, like the sizzle of hihats and the grit on a reece and the snap of a snare and what have you.

---------- Post added at 02:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 ----------

LOL not very helpful was it hahaha

Well for my last production:

I mixed the tune, then exported it as a single wav, and tested it by mixing it with other similiar tunes to see how it sounded, and to my surprise they high end was really low, and the track sounded very muffled. Surprise, because I recently noticed my mixes were a bit light on the high end and conciously tried to counter that problem while mixing this track.

So I went back to the drawing board and did some tricks.

I grouped nearly all my channels to 3 main buses - Beats, Bass and FX. Only thing left outside were a low and quiet pad and a vocal that only came up twice. On all those buses I added an EQ. The beats had the most high end to them of the 3 so that was going to be my highest of the high, and on that EQ I did a boost on 10KHz and up. The bass had some mid stuff going on in it and at highest it hit about 3-4KHz, so it got a boost on that area, plus a smaller on on 1KHz. For the FX (blips, stabs and random noises like sweeps and stuff) I did a huge boost at around 7KHz to give them some edge.

Then I A/B'd my track against some commercial ones (with their volume turned way down to make up for the lack of mastering on my tune) and tweaked a little until I was happy. Getting it sound good also involved some compressing of the buses but that doesn't have to do with crispness.

Cheers man, can't really take in what your saying properly though as i'm not massively on the production tbh and all sounds pretty much like jibberish to me! Just want to give it a studio feel really if you get what i mean? VERY slight reverb maybe and a load of EQing?!

Hmm depends on what you mean by 'crisp' I guess. To me it means the high's of the track, like the sizzle of hihats and the grit on a reece and the snap of a snare and what have you.

---------- Post added at 02:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 ----------

LOL not very helpful was it hahaha

Well for my last production:

I mixed the tune, then exported it as a single wav, and tested it by mixing it with other similiar tunes to see how it sounded, and to my surprise they high end was really low, and the track sounded very muffled. Surprise, because I recently noticed my mixes were a bit light on the high end and conciously tried to counter that problem while mixing this track.

So I went back to the drawing board and did some tricks.

I grouped nearly all my channels to 3 main buses - Beats, Bass and FX. Only thing left outside were a low and quiet pad and a vocal that only came up twice. On all those buses I added an EQ. The beats had the most high end to them of the 3 so that was going to be my highest of the high, and on that EQ I did a boost on 10KHz and up. The bass had some mid stuff going on in it and at highest it hit about 3-4KHz, so it got a boost on that area, plus a smaller on on 1KHz. For the FX (blips, stabs and random noises like sweeps and stuff) I did a huge boost at around 7KHz to give them some edge.

Then I A/B'd my track against some commercial ones (with their volume turned way down to make up for the lack of mastering on my tune) and tweaked a little until I was happy. Getting it sound good also involved some compressing of the buses but that doesn't have to do with crispness.

Wouldn't it be better to just boost the instrument which gives a track it's high end?

haha ^^ yeah. thought that too.

imo all you can do ist even out the levels of your recording and bring it up.
as you should be recording at a lower volume than 0dbfs, all you should be doing is bring up the mix more to that point - hence the vintage warmer and limiter on top of it.

but dont overdo it, as all the songs you mix will have been properly mastered before..

Back
Top Bottom