How to keep melodies/ideas in mind?

DigitalDevil

Hi

When I try to sleep I've many times pretty good ideas for tracks (even though I won't be able to realize them due of my technical knowledge), but I don't know how I should keep them in mind, because I can't write sheets/pattern. I've tried to record myself while I hum the melodies or to write some melodies down which seems for me understandable (for the moment ...). I've also some ideas for banger tunes when I'm dreaming, but I think that is a different pair of shoes.
How do you do it and where do you get ideas?

yep, most ideas happen when you are nowhere near the workstation lol! Best thing is to keep repeating them over and over in your head until they become burnt into your mind for later! Like if you hear a song on the radio a few times in a day, chances are thats it stuck in your head for the next few days!

Or, if you get inspired, get back up, open up your DAW and just get that melody down quick, dont worry about what sounds you're using, you can change that the following day when you have more time, just focus on getting the notes down!

I get my ideas while laying bed...I get up right away and hit the midi keyboard and record using a synth, piano, or any suitable sound. Even just a basic version of the idea always works, then you can elaborate on it later. Sometimes some accidental slip ups with the old gorilla fingers on the keyboard turn out to be usable notes. Good luck and keep at it!

voice/memo recorder on ur phone is definately the best and easiest idea tbh. i do it all the time and get some right dodgy looks while humming into my phone in public but its worth it. Its also handy if ur on a piano somewhere, come up with a nice little melody u wanna keep, record it on phone, take it home and play it on ur midi keyboard or sequencer.

Learn the scales to try to put your melodies in key

And maybe if you have an iphone you could get an app like imaschine which is "An intuitive and powerful beat sketchpad for iPhone® and iPod touch® based on MASCHINE's groove production studio concept."

Or like what was said above, if you lack the confidence/skill to write them down quickly on your own then just hum them into a recorder and decipher it later!

I'm very familiar with this problem... the thing is that it bugs me out so bad that I can't stay in bed i get up out of bed and start writing it down into logic. Then i usually get more hyped and continue to experiment with my project. Then it always ends up with me realizing that its soon time to wake up... either way I think it's worth messing your day rhythm up :D

Back
Top Bottom