How to handle your music output...?

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
The title is probably slightly misleading but it's something I've been trying to decide on for most of my time producing music.

It's all going to be opinion based as there is no right or wrong way.

I have a new EP soon to be released as a free download due to some issues with the original plans for the release. It has led me to question whether it is worth releasing music on small labels that will not receive much traffic and the minimal amount of money you may never see.

Is it more beneficial to put out music for free until they are at the point one of the more established labels wants your tracks, in my experience the music reaches a much bigger crowd when it's put out for free.
I plan on putting a lot more out for free while saving ones of higher standard for when I have a collection ready to send to some of the bigger labels.

What's your thoughts?

If the label you're releasing on is so small that you can promote yourself better just by being you, then don't bother. I thought the whole point of releasing was because they can promote your music better than you can.

As for money:
a) if you're not in this for the money, then more exposure is more important
b) if you are in this for the money, then you're not gonna get any decent amount of money until you have a decent following, therefore exposure is more important.

I'd always say wait until a decent mid sized label picks you up who have established artists on it. Keep everything on lock til that point i recon.

It depends on the kind of music you make.

If it's the deeper side, I'd recommend keeping it on lockdown until a label picks it up.

If it's more dancefloor orientated, put a few up for a free DL and try and get some blogs involved in your promotion.

I'm right there with you. My music is not good enough for any real labels to pick up my music, it is more important to me, to make tracks that people will play or enjoy so I just give them away. I usually send my tracks to small and medium sized labels before I release them but it never really works out, so why bother. I guess if I ever get good enough that labels want to pick me up it will happen.

Yeah I think it is best. As a Collab with friends we have had a release on a more established label that has released tunes form maztek gridlock etc. b t in terms of solo releases the label was going to put the EP out on vinyl (1 x 12" not full EP) but fell through. So I've been putting more music out for free now apart from tunes I think are a cut above the rest... Once I am have at least 4-5 finished tunes at this level I will start sending to the bigger labels. But the main thing I'm doing is just making music and enjoying it, and that seems to bring out the best in it :)

Back
Top Bottom