HOW TO GO ABOUT MAKING TICKY TACKY GLITCHY TECHY BREAKS LIKE DUB PHIZIX

MistaBossman

Was just wondering how to go about making Ticky Tacky Glitchy Breaks a bit like Dub Phizix often does like in his tune 'Run It Like The President' with Skeptical, as well as his Netsky 'Love Is Gone Dub Phizix Remix'. How do i go about making those really Glitchy, chopped up fast 'fucked up' breaks. Other examples are Nymfo and June Boshoven, Rockwell Constant Complex Rhythmic Sound and Dub Phizix Ft Fox Never Been. Any good samples and examples? Thank yar!

This is a rip of run it like the president, download and listen to the drums, how do you think you could achieve drums like that, very glitch, unlike any other drums,

June Miller in the drop your drums are really fast and glitchy, a normal break would be kick snare kick snare kick snare kick snare however your snares and kicks are all over the places, and doubly fast, how did you go about making this?

experimentation. make kick and snare notes shorter and play around with them. hats and other sounds play a big part as well. sidechaining basslines will give a swinging/glitching sound as well

June Miller in the drop your drums are really fast and glitchy, a normal break would be kick snare kick snare kick snare kick snare however your snares and kicks are all over the places, and doubly fast, how did you go about making this?

In 'Boshoven'? I think you might be thinking of something else because the kick snare pattern is pretty standard I guess :)

We used 2 breaks I believe (which you can hear solo'd in the intro) - There was quite a bit of eq'ing involved, pushed in some harmonically related frequencies (exciter) and added some extra hats here and there too fill the breaks out a bit.

Following that we added the weighty snare (the one that comes in on the drop) which was compressed with the breaks. We then sent the breaks and weighty snare to a bus with the kick, then we added some transient shaping and some limiting.

In terms of the glitch, I'm afraid I no idea what you are referring too haha :D Maybe you mean the shuffle stuff? If so that is all in the breaks. You can hear we purposely didn't fill out one of the kicks in the break which was hi passed to around 300hz. Its not really a 'standout feature' in the tune but add that sense of shuffle funk I guess :D

Lol, shuffles are the biggest hurdle to overcome, i mean you can find some descent ones in breaks but damn, they always need cleaned up! I suggest you get familiar with drums and how they are played. Shuffles were a bitch for me, of course i figured them but still..

Then you have glitch, just load up Livecut or dBLue..

Gating a normal trashy break can make it real clean and ticky so to speak. The drums in the tune in my sig have been made like this.

Back
Top Bottom