How to go about getting a gig

Aspect91

Ive been dj'ing jump up for around 6 months now and would love to play somewhere , im not expecting anything soon as i know 6 months is a short period of time and im currently doing a course at the dj gym in birmingham
Im focussing on dnb at the course but i know theres alot more opportunity to dj something like house music
Im from birmingham and while there is regular dnb raves it seems to be top names only and nothing in the way of smaller events with unknown namesa

Sadly, its more about who you know rather than skill level. Try getting in with local promoters and DJ's and ask to have a mix on their home setup, get friendly with people in the local scene or who you know plays roughly the same type of style as you.
I havent played out in years now, but once you're in with a local promoter they tend to stick with DJ's they know and you'll get put on the bill pretty much every night they do, once you've done this, it's possible to branch out to other maybe bigger events

Go to parties and socialize there! Try to meet the organiser there or maybe other organisers which are at the event. Also be active on the socials. I, for example, know who in NL are promoters of events and which are not. Sometimes I randomly got a gig by a random convo with a dude that turned out to be a promoter haha. Its all about social interaction and the skills don't even matter! Once you get good connections you get gigs that's how it works (sadly, cuz some people can't DJ for shit but still get gigs)

Back
Top Bottom