DnB HOW TO GET THIS SOUND

Dylan Morris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QyljPkhWzM - 0:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2giGVe3r0s - 0:49

Hey guys :)

This is a sound I've been hearing a lot recently and every time I've tried to make it it just ends up being super weak and not sounding that close to it at all.

My process is a couple of sinewaves that are detuned, but doesn't really cut it; also tried to modulate cutoff with an LFO but still not getting the results I want!

Really frustrating so any help would be really, really welcome!

I'm using Logic and I'm running Massive, FM8, Gladiator, Albino and all the native stuff too so any pointers using those would be really useful!

Cheers :)

He's talking about the detuned sine bass thing.
You can try mixing a bit of square in too, but yeah it's just the detuned sine waves really.
This sound can be done in the most basic of synths, but remember to use plugin effects to make your sounds bigger and stronger when you want, you can't always get that from a synth alone.

There actually used to be a video on youtube of how DC Breaks made Creeper.
For that sound, it is literally 2 sine waves played one note apart, one note on top of the other in the piano roll and they sort of bounce off each other
Search around on the internet for the creeper tutorial, im sure it must be lurking in the depths of the internet somewhere. It's a shame its not on youtube anymore!

I think there needs to be a rule in production forum, where a thread which has a generic title of absolutely no use to anyone, it gets deleted instantly.

or maybe there can be a sub-forum called 'how to make this sound'. coz I swear I'm gona cry if i see another title saying 'how to get this sound'

@Logikz

Sorry mate, didn't realise this forum was exclusively for people who are born with an extensive knowledge of synthesis!

There's me thinking I could come here to get some help and learn something without some self righteous dong flexing his cyber muscles :lol:

Reign it in a bit fella. It gets tedious when the whole 1st page is filled with people asking how to create this sound. We're here to help, but before making a post, question if the same topic has been covered before by using a simple search function. This forum has been around for ages, so chances are, the topic you want to discuss has been brought up on several occasions in the past, and usually answered too!

Yeah sorry man, don't wanna come across too aggro. Just don't like asking for help and then someone rocks up and makes me feel like a fool.

That being said it's definitely not a bad idea to set up a sub forum for sound recreation!

Lesson learnt, I'll be more specific and only post if I have to.

was not a personal attack on you Dylan, was a genuine request by myself to the forum mods to try and stop threads becoming useless after the original poster has got the info they need; i mean, how awsome would it be to just scroll thru a long list of how-to threads which had a reasonable description, or at least an artist and track name, so that it becomes a useful and reuseable resource for new producers? No one but you, and a few of the helpful people on here are gona look at this thread, and thats a big shame! esp considering that there are probly more threads with this title than there are types of bass sounds in dnb lol...see my point? its not a personal attack, dont take it like that! have fun on the forum :)

Plugin wise, if it is sounding weak, use EQ, Compression and Saturation. The LFO sounds quite quick on the first one, like 1/16 synced. have a high pass lfo but remember the sub bass plays in the higher notes, so be careful with the lfo filter cut off level, or simply lfo the volume instead.

Yeah no worries man, apology is all mine to make! Having re-read your post I see it had nothing to do with my post, but was more of a forum wide criticism. Had a listen to your stuff, seriously like your sound :)

Regarding the original purpose of this thread I tweeted DC breaks and they said it's literally the default EXS24 patch playing two notes one above the other!

all good, n bigup gettin the patch name from DC Breaks; lol at the defaults, love it, and theres me layering up bare operators for hours on end :D

safe on the comments about my music! always appriciated :D couple of EP's and an LP out this year, sum vinyl n sum digi; few freebies on my SC too - unmastered tho

Back
Top Bottom