Drum & Bass How to get this Neurofunk Bassline ?

Discussion in 'Production' started by neurologic, Sep 3, 2013.

1. neurologic

neurologic New Member

2. neurologic

neurologic New Member

At least, How would you call this kind of bassline ? Is it like a reece modified and looped ?

3. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

I don't use Ableton myself, but I use Massive. and there are plenty of tutorials on how to achieve some heavy reeses on youtube, you should search. I believe there's no right way to do it, as some use resample, others don't, for example.

4. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

k I'm gonna have a go at answering this and it's kinda hard to explain so apologies in advance.

I've made something similar to this sound using a bassline stab with a harsh pitch bend at the beggining and just distorted and looped correctly to play off the kick n snare. You can also get it by using distorted kick drums. Also use envelopes on your distortion amount and dry/wet to play off the kick n snare.

So the start to this noise would be getting a bassline with a heavy hitting hard note that has a pitch envelope on the beggining and fades out quick.
    In massive you can do this by getting any noise running it through the filters in series with a comb filter on filter 1 (sat at default) with an envelope on the cut off with a small attack and decay no sustain or release (play with this to your liking as a high attack also makes interesting sounds). it will start stabbing downwards in pitch if you get it right. the problem is controlling the sound (pitch-wise but you can do that later when you come to sample it).
    Put the feedback up quite high and the damp up high then route the feedback to the first filter (go to routing window and just click the fb nearest to filter 1) then up the feedback just before is starts wailing. add a scream filter, up the resonance and scream to find a sweet spot and add another envelope on the cutoff also making a stab but with a slightly larger decay. Play with envelope 4 to get the noise stabbing like a kick would and then after that once you are happy, sample it.

Now in your sampler the repetition of the loop without the beggining is what you want to exploit. so stab on the kick, loop over the snare an hats, then stab on the kick again. play with cutoffs maybe duplicate the noise and change it so its filtering a different way, or stick a few stabs in reverbs and delays playing off each other etc.

TL: DR???

Here's the ksd of the noise im describing above i put notes on e4 1 every 3 for 8 beats..if that makes sense to anyone?

http://www.mediafire.com/?74cxqixp9q4y1wh

add a camel phat on default with the distortion on and up the mech n tube and it will start crunching.

Its the start to where you need to go for this type of bass try different sounds or even just simply distorting a kick etc

Might stick this in the dirty bass exchange thread...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    Krispy likes this.
  5. neurologic

neurologic New Member

Thanks a lot for your answer dude, i'll try to ask in the dirty bass thread but I think this will help me to have a solid base !

Cheers from France !