How to get the basics?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Fckthwrld, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Fckthwrld

Fckthwrld New Member

Hello together,

i try to make drum and bass with ableton for some time now. I read the dance music manual, ableton live power etc. etc. etc.

But i just tend to hav eproblems with drum n bass. I tried to "program" some beats, but it wont work out. Are there any books like "Drum and bass for dummies" or other tutorials like that? Im not sure how to use breaks or drum loops. Or if I should programm the beats only with a drum machine and dont use breaks (for example, i have the feeling that pendulum doesnt use breaks). I just have the problem that i dont get the right start... do you have any tips for me?

I would be very gratefull.

Greetings

Fckthwrld

2. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Pendulum used live recordings, breaks, and synthetic drums

3. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

But mostly live recordings of drums. Otherwise, I guess mr. Paul Kodish would not be happy to be in a band, and have his contributions not taken seriously.

4. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

so many different ways to do this... heres a simple link to some beats for dnb http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/drum_patterns.php if your just starting out. experiment away with those midis in drum rack.

when you feel your getting abit better start moving away from that approach and listen to what drums are made off and if you like a song replicate it.

Once youve done all that youll probably know your way round drums in general and will be spitting out drum patterns from every orifice ((in time) maybe))

in regards of books i bought this... http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Abl...rce=UK&utm_content=Ableton-Live-8-and-Suite-8 and it didnt really teach much i couldnt figure out myself... try buying computer music magazine and the other big one i cant remember its name without going into my laptop case and looking. ((if in uk) if not its available in PDFs) youtube is very informative and for me has provided best tutorials good luck

5. Dark Lizardro

I mentioned on other thread that is of great importance to you know how a real drumkit works, in the hands of a really skilled drummer. Syncopation heard in dnb is also applied on other genres, like funk (mostly), jazz, rock and heavy metal.

I like to watch drummer lessons on youtube, to get more into how some patterns are made, how they are mixed and so on.

My advice is to choose one skilled drummer (in my case, I like pretty much everything that Mike Portnoy does) and watch lesson videos from that drummer.

6. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Yes, but with synthetic and breaks for layering purposes, and a break fill here and there.

7. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

Thats a good idea ive never tried that before ill give that a look myself... also on this point of live drums having a mic is a good thing for your samples all the kicks im using currently are processed from one sample at the moment a recording of a door shutting next to a mic get creative with percussion aswell

8. Dark Lizardro

Yeah, that's why, at some point, they had like 6 computers handling all their shit on gigs.

- - - Updated - - -

A few names that can help you: Mike Portnoy, Mike Mangini, Marco Minnemann, Peter Wildoer, Neil Peart... most of them play on progressive metal /rock bands, though.

As for the kicks you are recording, I'm sure you need to EQ the hell of them before using on a song :)

ManuForti likes this.
  9. ManuForti

ManuForti Detached Audio

cheers ill check that the now...

well actually this one recording off a cubhoard door closing using an akg 240 sounds pretty good raw... i havent mastered the art EQ or compression yet i normally shove a distortion unit everything lol

10. Dark Lizardro

Just search youtube, man. There's thousands of tutorials on EQ there, for most DAWs.

11. Fckthwrld

Fckthwrld New Member

Well Pendulum really was just an example. I know that they have a drummer, but rob swire "programs" the beats before the recordings.

What i meant: They dont use highpassed breaks. Sub focus once stated in a masterclass, too that he doesnt use this.

Before i want to get my hands on synths/basses/creative sampling i want to get my drums going, so i can learn things step by step. Maybe i can tell you some things im unsure with and you can give me some tips for further readings/watchings/etc.

- Get Samples (What samples? From where? How to process them?)
    - Get Breaks (Should i use breaks? how should i use them? Where should i get them?)
    - Frequencys (What do i have to consider for a clean mix?)
    - Drum Sampler (Would it be an advantage to get something like addictive drummer or superior drummer?)
    - Basics in programming (Simon V seems to be a great starting point, thanks for that :)!)

12. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

- The internet. Google is your friend.
    - Breaks are great at helping you make your own and also making your own sound better. Breaks are samples.
    - Youre starting, dont worry about frequency stuff for now. Its all a bit situational. Get it to sound good first.
    - Drum samplers a good if you have the money. If you dont, your DAWs sampler will work fine with whatever sample you have.
    - Pretty much figure it out. Start midi recording with a sampler and learn how different rhythms and placement sound.

13. Dark Lizardro

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said about the 6 computers running together on their live gig. I believe they used them to mess around with the live performance, as well.

As for your questions:

- "Get Samples (What samples? From where? How to process them?)" - and - "Drum Sampler (Would it be an advantage to get something like addictive drummer or superior drummer?)" - there are lots of free samples, focused for breakbeat production. Most of my samples I got from musicradar, for free. As for the Addictive Drummer, or Superior Drummer, if I'm not mistaken, Noisia uses superior drummer for their songs, and they cover it on their masterclass. Just search "Noisia Masterclass" on youtube and there you go.

- "Get Breaks (Should i use breaks? how should i use them? Where should i get them?)" - I normally don't use other people's breaks. I like to do all of my own.

- "Frequencys (What do i have to consider for a clean mix?)" - you need to understand that everything has it's own space on the frequency spectrum. but, sometimes they can "share" some frequencies, like kick and sub, kick and bass, snare and pads and so on. You can use different approaches, depending on what you want your song to be: you can sidechain the kick with the sub (I personally like to sidechain just the frequencies that are clashing), or you can just cut out frequencies that are clashing. Also, keep in mind that, for example, even though a snare is located between 200-350hz (aproximately), there will be frequencies lower than that, and you'll need to cut out those frequencies. Basically is "cut out any unwanted frequencies", and you should apply this to every sound on the song, unless you are aiming for a proposital muddy mix.

- "Basics in programming (Simon V seems to be a great starting point, thanks for that !)" - yes, Simon V is a great place to start understanding how to build your breaks from scratch. But I also advice you to listen to your favorite artists, and try to emulate what they've done on their songs. This will only come with practice!