How to get proper deep sub sound in massive?

Magicman

I've been trying to get a decent real deep booming effect in massive for ages but cant really get it.

Like the sorta boomy/wooble bass netsky uses in 'Lost in this world' or 'Come back home' that really hits the bass frequency nicely.

Any suggestions?

Try this:

1 OSC with the Smooth Square waveform, WT Position full anti clockwise. Set the F1/F2 mix slider for that OSC up to F1. Assign a Lowpass4 filter to Filter1, set the F1 slider full and the Mix slider to Mix1. Set the Cutoff on Filter1 to about halfway -or- assign an LFO5 to it and tweak to taste. Increase the Master volume in Massive to get more gain out of it. Oh, and play on the C0 to C1 octave.

You just wanted a sub bass sound right?

may be a tad obvious but to really hit that sweet sub bass sound key is a major factor, I find (and sub focus has mentioned this) that writing tunes in the key of F and G really hit the low frequencies nicely anything higher in the bass register and your really forcing a higher frequency note to be lower and this is when things get messy and don't sit well - I am working on a tune now that started off in C and I just transposed it all down 4 semitones and the difference in bass intensity is amazing - and thats just 4 notes - anyways just a thought if your writing in a higher key.

try an envelope additional to the lfo, so it hits with more higher frequencys and is more audible. can give it some edge imo.

if you want that netsky/take me away/desperado wobble, just put zeta on, take the last preset and tweak it to your needs.

may be a tad obvious but to really hit that sweet sub bass sound key is a major factor, I find (and sub focus has mentioned this) that writing tunes in the key of F and G really hit the low frequencies nicely anything higher in the bass register and your really forcing a higher frequency note to be lower and this is when things get messy and don't sit well - I am working on a tune now that started off in C and I just transposed it all down 4 semitones and the difference in bass intensity is amazing - and thats just 4 notes - anyways just a thought if your writing in a higher key.

so right, key change is the thing that confuses me the most... i understand the theory behind it, but working out how change the key of my tracks i just don't get?

on a similar note, minor keys (ie A Minor) produce darker tunes!

also forgot to say that anything lower in the bass register will lack the intensity as the frequencies quite simply won't be picked up on most club systems let alone home studios - best advice is to get a spectral analyser and make sure your sub is hitting around the 50 - 70hz (60 ish is F and G) - always under your kick that shouldn't really go lower than 80hz in dnb.

Yeah C0 is a little too low on the spectrum for my suggestion, E and F is where it will be more audible. Compression will help totame those higher resonant bass notes.

so right, key change is the thing that confuses me the most... i understand the theory behind it, but working out how change the key of my tracks i just don't get?

on a similar note, minor keys (ie A Minor) produce darker tunes!
If you're working midi, open piano roll, select all the notes and drag them down so many (x) semitones (transposing) If you move all the notes together you're keeping the intervals the same so it will still sound the same, just lower.

If you have a whole heap of audio samples already laid out in your tune it'll be a bit more of a headache. Gotta go through and pitch shift everything (by the same amount)

Dont forget really subtle pitch bend envelopes an filter envelopes to give promenence to the beggining of the hits....
I.e attack = 0, decay = between 3- 10 or summin just a lil bit? ,sus = 0, release = 0

^^^this wont be noticed if u sidechain...an tbh i tend to do this on the mids/highs of the bass, but it all depends on the track if u do the above. i find dnb has a set template an if u do go out of bounds it starts sounding gay or incoherent. i like the fact that dubstep an other slower tempos give u space to hear the subtle changes n shit whereas dnb is too fast to notice shit? oh well, dnb all the way! :D

Back
Top Bottom