How to get a 'growling' bass?????

Dj_Kritikool

growling is the only was i could describe it

similar to the noise on overfiend - original sin
or roni size - friends

any 1 help with this???

would help me out alot

thanks

synthesis + distortion + mod + eq + compression + resample...
in any order or combination.. then repeat... again and again...

Focus on the "o" in growl. Get that sound with 3 saw waves, 2 of them an octave off the first. Use distortion in the beginning a bit of the effects chain then at the end. Split you sound and keep the low frequencies pretty clean. Then focus on the "gr" and "wl". this could be done with a filter attack or something similar.

there is much more to write, but I'm going to have a sandwich

Focus on the "o" in growl. Get that sound with 3 saw waves, 2 of them an octave off the first. Use distortion in the beginning a bit of the effects chain then at the end. Split you sound and keep the low frequencies pretty clean. Then focus on the "gr" and "wl". this could be done with a filter attack or something similar.

We want moarrrr!
Evil sandwich hit again.
Thx mate

3 oscillators like everyone is saying. Choose yoru waveforms, most of the time i like to use squares because they sound more electronic.

detune them slightly, distort, unison, compress if needed, filter out what you dont like, bounce and repeat.

Add an LFO with a small amount of gain for a slight wobble. With this, add a modulation envelope on either the filter or the phases of the oscillators, this will give it some personality.

If you want to really get interesting, boost your portamento, when you go from note to note it will swing and sound demonic.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
thats great, cheerz people,

im using logic and ive also installed Komplete 5 so ive got a range of synths to work with but to get this type of bass should i use any particular 1?

3 oscillators like everyone is saying.

why 3... why not 7 or 1... its makes no difference
really... the midlines in my tune end of time on
rottun recs were made with a single osc reaktor
synth "oki computer 2.1" in which you can mod a
single waveform across a wave table..

the tonality you are all talking about
comes more from processing post synthesis more
than anything...

We want moarrrr!
Evil sandwich hit again.
Thx mate

Alright.

so I use z3ta+ so what I do is the higher in octave wave gets a bit highpassed and the lower gets low passed a bit. The higher gets self synced a bit too.

My effects follow, and this is personal preference.

Tube amp a bit on warm setting, EQ out the bad freq. by shortening the bandwidth and searching for bad signals, and to boost the good freqencies. then chorus a bit, then phaser, and tube amp on distortion setting. Lastly, compression that has a bit of a lighter setting.

I personally don't use reverb because I don't like it much on a reece.

Then I resample at a good quality. I then apply sweeping bandpass filters on a low setting so it wont effect the sound much, then a highpass on a different time setting and a low pass n a lower speed setting. I also add some effects at this point. I resample again and put it into dblue - glitch and mess about.

I may add a sub bass under it at this point

why 3... why not 7 or 1... its makes no difference
really... the midlines in my tune end of time on
rottun recs were made with a single osc reaktor
synth "oki computer 2.1" in which you can mod a
single waveform across a wave table..

the tonality you are all talking about
comes more from processing post synthesis more
than anything...

Well 3 has worked for me. That's why I mention it as opposed to 1. I don't have the same post synthesis you do to make those sounds, so I need to layer synthesis and distortion. That's just how it falls out, in my case.

Well 3 has worked for me. That's why I mention it as opposed to 1. I don't have the same post synthesis you do to make those sounds, so I need to layer synthesis and distortion. That's just how it falls out, in my case.

3 will work... so will 4.. or 2... or 1... or a million
oscillators.. it doesnt matter... and layering
and distortion are definitely post synthesis techniques...

this.
i then tend to make two copies of the same sound high passing one and low passing the other.
the high pass will give that top end growl.

or use the exiciter-but not too much!

if your using massive try the scream filter that gives that growl to most sounds you try it with. Jus link up lfo 5 with the cutoff and then mess around with the scream and resonance nobs.

Haha. Are there any other words you can make into sounds? How would you make the name "ronald"? :teeth:

Like Peter Frampton..."Dooo Youuuu Feeeeel Theeee Wayyyy I Feeel??? Dooooo Youuuu Feeeeeel Allright? Alright? Alright? Alright?"

Back
Top Bottom