How to get a clean break

Josephm561

Hi there, Been listening to lots of stuff at the moment and i been making a couple jungle tracks however i am stuck at getting my breaks and drums to sound clean, i do not know much about processing at all so i was wondering if there where any resources you can point me towards that could help me in my production?

Im thinking along the lines of this guy, fair enough you could argue that his drums are still kind of dirty but when you compare it to the jungle in the 1990's you can understand what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cjYp_Sdi0&feature=BFa&list=PL13C1B9266A788443&lf=plpp_video

if you wanna get a break like that just sample the highest quality amen break you can. that's all it is buddy. nothing special.

i dont mean just using single breaks my bad, of course layering takes place but im still left feeling slightly frustrated at the sound of it, i do watch youtube vids when i got the time n that

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

if you wanna get a break like that just sample the highest quality amen break you can. that's all it is buddy. nothing special.

Oki, i thought there where some magical remedies you could use but alass i was mistaken :(

It took me ages to fully comprehend the use of surgical EQ'ing, But it really does make a difference! Dont get me wrong, the samples you use have to be good to start, but once you know how to mould a sound using EQ, and how to get them all nice and clean without interfering with each other, it really is a whole new ball game!

"Surgically EQing" Ghad it sounds so complicated lol, any hints at where the best places would be to learn this from?

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

I know a few EQing tricks but surgically makes it sounds like something else

lol its not as daunting as it sounds, its basically a technique where you cut out lots of unwanted frequencies from a sound with lots of steep notch filters.

the production masterclass by xample and lomax helped me tons with my drums eqing, try to check that if you can. Its basically what Mr Fletch said, start with decent samples, and cut out the frequencies you dont want, and slightly boost the ones that you need and ofc layering. Altho in that video he puts distortion on his drums to get it sounding gritty, just dont do that part, and ur away.

It took me ages to fully comprehend the use of surgical EQ'ing, But it really does make a difference! Dont get me wrong, the samples you use have to be good to start, but once you know how to mould a sound using EQ, and how to get them all nice and clean without interfering with each other, it really is a whole new ball game!

Would just like to say thanks alot for showing me that man its helped loads!

EQ is so vital, along with compression.

What I tend to do is create a very narrow EQ band, boost as high as it will go, and then sweep it down the frequency range. Then just completely cut any frequencies that stand out and sound horrible. you can tell which ones as they will be loud and have a horrible, resonant ringing sound.

Usually on a break, I will cut out about 4 different frequencies and then put a little boost on the high shelf.

Then some gentle compression. Not much or it sounds messy.

Then some light distortion, maybe some reverb.

Then another EQ to cut out any nasty stuff that the distortion added.

Then the girls will be all over you.

Back
Top Bottom