How to double drop?

DNBMAN12345

Hey,

Was just wondering how djs like andy c manage to double drop so many records and so quickly?
Like when he rewinds and then double drops a track with a new one and repeats it 3, 4+ times.
Is it all just down to planning before hand and knowing the exact time to begin playing the other track or what?

Thanks

STEP 1 :
put two jubblys in your mouth at the same time
STEP 2
Have a nice big gulp of water.
STEP 3
give it an hour..

:D :D :D
then rush like a cunt.

So they know how many bars to go until the drop and then line the other tune up so it fits and bring it in?

yeah

most dnb tunes (all electronic music really) are made up in the same structure, there are four beats to each bar and then 4 bars to each "phrase", e.g. Timewarp by Sub Focus is made up of a 3 phrase intro, then 3 phrases of "tune" after the drop, then 2 phrases of breakdown, then another 4 of "tune", so say if i wanted to drop Hazard - Killers Don't Die (2 phrase intro) into the second drop i'd have to cue it in as timewarp goes into the breakdown

there's always a few tunes that don't like sticking to this format, Ra is an obvious example as the intro is 1 and 1/4 phrases intro, jus means u have to cue it in a lil early

hope this explains it, so u can see it's not that much of a chanllenge, it's getting the mixes right & in key that is the hard part, no point double dropping if it just sounds like "noise"

Your best bet is probably using Trial and error- Try starting your cued track after so many phrases and if It comes in too early, start again and Cue it in a phrase or so later, if it comes in too late, cue it in earlier.

I've never DJ'ed before but i suppose like much of Djing it's just practising until you know your tunes very well as that's probably the hard part as opposed to actually working the decks when double dropping

Everyone says you have to know your tunes really well, but i dont think getting tunes to double drop is that hard at all, all you gotta do is look at most vinyls and you can see from the grooves.

Obviously to get it perfectly everytime you cant rely on a rough guide like that, but if you can beatmatch well then double dropping isnt that much of a step up. My problem is beatmatching quick enough to get them to drop on the same beat as opposed to a little before or after.

Everyone says you have to know your tunes really well, but i dont think getting tunes to double drop is that hard at all, all you gotta do is look at most vinyls and you can see from the grooves.

Obviously to get it perfectly everytime you cant rely on a rough guide like that, but if you can beatmatch well then double dropping isnt that much of a step up. My problem is beatmatching quick enough to get them to drop on the same beat as opposed to a little before or after.

you can see from the grooves as a rough guide as to when to double drop ? O.O?

It's very hard to see every groove in a dark club, trust me.

It's very hard to see every groove in a dark club, trust me.

I dont doubt that at all, ive never played live and just started DJing, but for home mixing the grooves are pretty useful.

@ Savoirfaire

The grooves are spaced out more during the intro and breakdowns so you can see the end of a segment using that. On some vinyls you can even see the end of phrases.

I dont doubt that at all, ive never played live and just started DJing, but for home mixing the grooves are pretty useful.

@ Savoirfaire

The grooves are spaced out more during the intro and breakdowns so you can see the end of a segment using that. On some vinyls you can even see the end of phrases.

cheers saint i sortaa know what you mean

Back
Top Bottom