how to... do it?

rmt

So when i first signed up to DnBForum i didn't know what beatmatching with, i couldn't even dream of double dropping and scratching, something you do when your balls tingle.

Now, i've played sets at Liquid nightclubs and was a resident there for a few months (til i was kicked out of uni) and i've done loads of clubs in Leicester as student nights, the dnb scene at the moment isn't really one i'm part of, but would certainly like to get back into it.

that said, my dnb collection is minimal, but will be extended - and i want to start doing some dnb gigs, because i know i can, i believe i have the talent, i just need to get my name out.

ideas my people? :rolf:

Myspace.

Mix cds & mixes to d/l.

Start ya own night up / try & get a residency.

Look for online radio or local radio shows.

Pester people (but not like a stalker would). Let people know you're available & willing & reliable.

It's so hard to break thru or even play out regularly, sorta the nature of DnB. Look at the A list (even any DJ anyone's heard of), most have been in it for at least 10 yrs...& breakthru DJs at least 5yrs...

I'd also so don't get hung up on a big collection or dubplate chasing, play what you like, and what makes people dance.

But it's fookin hard. Which is also why the few that do make it are generally very good.

Cool :)

I already play out, but when i do its all Cheese, and yeah i'm good at cheese but its not me - i love breaks,dnb and trance right now, always have, always will so would love to get into some of that. when i play out i often do small sets of that genre but most of the crowds i play to only want small bits.

i suppose i could try and build off my current connections with Luminar Leisure and stuff....

If you're already establishing yourself as a dj, then play small bits to the crowds - things they recognise. Pendulum, Jenna G, Shy Fx, Aphrodite, Kosheen, etc.

You'll probably meet promoters at those gigs who like dnb and if they like what you've heard that might give you a chance to start playing dnb nights. That's how I started. And finished. I've had enough of fucking around with promoters that if I start playing again it will be at my own nights.

I wouldn't try and establish yourself from scratch as a dnb dj, you have a lot of competition from guys with skills and large record bags.

I wouldn't try and establish yourself from scratch as a dnb dj, you have a lot of competition from guys with skills and large record bags.

yeah, but he's 19 man. dont give your entire life to it ie. hold down a job, but go for it I say. :smash:

point is RMT, you can make a decision about what you wanna do and work towards it. making it as a dj in dnb is hard, but if you dont try it wont happen. if you really wanna play pure dnb then dont let anyone tell you not to bother.

what sort of music do you wanna play out to people? pure dnb or some other mix? keeping a crowd dancing is what djing is about, and doing that with non dnb to any crowd is not easy as it sounds

id recommend that longterm you need a distinctive style. Or produce some heavy tunes!

Personally I think that originality goes a long way.. at least in my mind anyway!

Seee if you can't get on a pirate, and as for teh distinctive sound...see if you are cut out to be a producer...and make ur own trax...a good step towards your own sound....:miss_rep:

thats it, there are so many DJs out there who are great, but they only DJ (as opposed to also producing or promoting) so its harder to stand out from the crowd even if you're quite good. Its a matter of standing room only, whereas producing or promoting gives you a quicker pass to recognition, if you're also good at it!

Back
Top Bottom