how to do exploding cymbals

Affliction

VIP Junglist
or one way of doing it anyway...

load up your cymbal sample as normal, and put some moderate compression on.

Then, create a really low sample (around 20Hz) with a quick decay (longer decay = longer effect, play with it) and Normalise it to 0db. Then! layer this low sample with your original cymbal...... now the compressor should kick in big style! After the compressor, put in a notch filter (or low cut) to get rid of your 20Hz sample, and voila..... exploding cymbals without the need for a side-chain. You can get some really cool results with this method, especially if the rest of your percussion is going through the same compressor

example below:

Attachments

• exploding break.zip
    80.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
yeahh...hmm. well i like more compression on the whole shit so that the kick and snare and what else cover the cymbal almost completely, sounds easy to make but haven't been able to do it yet. tips, anyone`?

Originally posted by Omtrak
yeahh...hmm. well i like more compression on the whole shit so that the kick and snare and what else cover the cymbal almost completely, sounds easy to make but haven't been able to do it yet. tips, anyone`?

not sure exactly what you mean, Usually when putting compression on an entire break, ill use a really low threshold (much lower then where the break is peaking), and quite a low ratio aswell (maybe 1.3:1), attack & decay to aboout 10, 150........ that does a pretty good job of bringing up the little ghosts and other minor parts of the break.

:thumbsup:

You mean like konflict do?
One way is to boost the bass a lot and overdrive into compression (send drums and cymbals into the same FX channel) so the low and high are fighting for space, then take out excess bass.
I think it works kinda the same as affliction's ting but a bit more extreme.
Works a fucking dream on basslines too if you distort a lot then boost the bass so you get proper dirty grinding mayhem.

i use different compressions on different instruments.
this way anyone can get creative results [watch yer cpu :pimp: ]

Last edited:
Originally posted by Affliction
cheers bruv :thumbsup: ive taken a bit of stick for sharing this method :( maybe some people dont quite understand it..

Ungrateful cunts

me and my mate dj dnd together and want to start producing early this year. what software could anyone recommend? i heard cakewalk pro is meant to be very versitile.

Back
Top Bottom