How to dnb drums?

YugenDnB

Hi,

I've been producing a while now (started December 2016) and I'm really trying to up my game where I lack the most skill is drums, they always come out boring, repetitive and lack punch. what did you guys do to practice making complex drums patterns and how to process them?

Any tutorials or advice you can offer me would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

✌️

For more interesting drums it's good to play with velocities and different values of the same samples. Definitely for hi-hats you should consider at least 2 or 3 different samples.

'Ghost' (quieter and/or muted by high shelf/lowpass) snares and kicks you can scatter around the main kicks and snares.

For breakbeats or anything fast with lots of notes you want to avoid too many drums that are very long.

Make sure your kick and snare are in key, play around with different volumes/tail lengths/stereo positioning in your hats/breaks to give them a bit of groove, mix up the end of phrases by adding and removing elements.

Also I read something somewhere that someone that does something with some kind of drums will bring the tempo down every now and then whilst working on their drumline to better feel the flow and groove, or something.

Listen to loads of different genres. Specially funk. Try emulating the syncopated drums using those tracks as reference.

Watch masterclass videos on YouTube with prominent drummers, to get the feel on how they approach the instrument.

Get drum midis on the internet and play with them.

Buy a drumkit, practice it for some years and then you can record them yourself.

Loads of options here, really.

I actually haven't seen this yet but now its hammered into my head ill go watch now, cheers... BTW sorry i forgot to tag you in comp i did actually have you in mind Xirus.
I use that gating trick on 95% of all breaks i work with, its been very handy for me.. i find i dial the dry signal back in anywhere from 5-95% lets me control the swing and character of the break, gets that "controlled looseness"(if that makes sense) vibe going.

N no worries at all bud, you guys have put together a great pack of sounds im having fun with em. Ive got a 124 idea going and im gonna get a 174 edit going next week.

Back
Top Bottom