How To Develop Your Vinyl Collection

Scatcat

It don't mean shit
VIP Junglist
First of all, sorry I been away a bit - working loads and none of it is infront of a computer so my post counter's been dwindling of recent.

Anyways, I have what I'd call a modest vinyl collection >50

Only started collecting a couple of months ago, but am constantly buying new stuff

I have a roughly 50/50 mix of old & new records (plus my dad's psycadellic prog rock) and

Everytime I'm shopping I don't know whether it's more important for me to be getting older "classic" tunes that I know i should have or be buying up new releases/promos/white labels

I try and get a bit of a mix but was hoping for some more advice on generally developing a vinyl collection

get what YOU want dumbass! (y) personally (when i still was a vinyl junkie), i went for rare/new (new being promos/whites as it made em rare!) as i was playing out on my radio show, so always wanted the freshest tunes or hard to find classics... but my real pleasure was finding out the names of tunes from way back in the begining of the decade i loved before i dj'd ir produced, and then hunting them down... very satisfying!

now, mp3s are too easy and cheap so i longed off the vinyl, but i'm glad its full of hard to find stuff and absolute gutter, as when i reach for the plastic, i know its special (y)

yeah, yeah, yeah...

Brool-Story-Co.jpg

my waffle posts have missed your thanks bro too!

to be honest you should only be buying tunes that you want to buy, there's no real importance to get the older tracks just because there classics, i bought loads of old virus stuff a while back but thats because i love that sound... the only time i ever thought i have to buy a tune is if i was playing out to a bunch of hospital record lovers and knew that one or two of their tunes would go off rather than my normal collection

Try to do a bit of both.

I'm very picky with what I buy new release wise now. It cant be something i'll play for a month then stick in the back of the crate never to be played again. Make sure you buy stuff you obviously like, but that will also have a bit of longevity, espeically since buying wax is so expensive (despite this, i will always buy records cos i like the feeling of buying something tangiable and not just a wave form on a laptop)

Keep an eye out for bargains on classics. Look on discogs and in 2nd hand record shops for all the obvious classics but dont feel you should have to buy a certain classic just because someone else thinks you should own it. make sure you're gonna play it/use it etc

Probably not a great answer but just my 2 cents worth

Try to do a bit of both.

I'm very picky with what I buy new release wise now. It cant be something i'll play for a month then stick in the back of the crate never to be played again.

this

i've recently been going through my collection looking for ones to sell, they are taking up 3 rooms now and there is so many that i've hardly touched and i doubt i will ever play again.
poor things they never got the play time they deserved!

so yeah, try to limit ur purchashing to what YOU want and stuff YOU will play. everyones tastes are different and its what makes u as a dj individual!

this

i've recently been going through my collection looking for ones to sell, they are taking up 3 rooms now and there is so many that i've hardly touched and i doubt i will ever play again.
poor things they never got the play time they deserved!

so yeah, try to limit ur purchashing to what YOU want and stuff YOU will play. everyones tastes are different and its what makes u as a dj individual!

The amount of tunes i had that i bought cos they sounded good in a club or whatever then was like 'why the fuck did i buy that!?'

Thanks guys I think I get the general gist - think i'm gonna stop worrying about old and new so much. Just gonna go with vinyls that I love from now on

I guess a record collection is constantly moving and as long as reserve my bagging ambitions no matter when I stop collecting I'll be happy with what i got.

Also don't think I ain't been following you wafflers richie - although I am curious to see that Heist thread

Buy something that is timeless, something that you wont get tired of after a week.

I rarely buy jump up as I get bored of it after a week.
But with Spectrasoul tunes or Noisia tunes I hardly ever get bored of them.

just buy what you want
i used to go in a record shop an ask for all new dnb releases that month or so an just listen thru em and buy the ones i liked
but obviously if theres an old tune u like get it dont buy say alien girl cos its a classic if u dont like it

Richie that sig is jokes!

And yeah its all about getting what you want, but switch it up with a few genres, more entertainment and it will improve your mixing skills

alien girl was like the second drum and bass vinyl i bought when it just came out, just thought id share that useless info with u

Back
Top Bottom