How to create a shuffle effect

Discussion in 'Production' started by tobstar, Mar 30, 2010.

1. tobstar

tobstar New Member

I'm new to this beat making malarky and loving every second. However I'm have problems creating a dnb beat with a shuffle in it.

Probably the best example of this beat is Don't Wanna Know - Shy Fx & T Power feat. Di.

Anyone have any tips on how to create this type of shuffle?

- I'm using FL studio

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

these kinds of questions make me wonder if youve got any idea what you got yourself into when you started writing music. i could tell you how to do it but basically what i mean is that there is so much to figure out, even after a thousand years of writing music, that even then i think the most you could say you know is that you dont really know anything at all. it takes practice, so keep at it. you have to spend the time, there are no shortcuts.

a shuffle is a hihat followed by a short snap like a rimshot or a ghost snare followed by a hihat followed by a short snap again.

3. tobstar

tobstar New Member

every day I sit down to make music I wonder what I got myself into. every single day!

I really don't have a clue but then again I don't care, it's just so much fun trying. Demoralising but fun. And at least I have something to show after a few hours work unlike playing computer games, my previous vice.

Anyway thanks for the help its really appreciated my man.

layters

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i can relate, when i found music i never touched games again. not because theyre not fun or anything like that, just there isnt time

5. sato

sato Member

get a sample of a break with a shuffle. chop it up into individual hits. listen to each hit and identify the sound. then have a go yourself :)

6. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

sound advice!

7. tobstar

tobstar New Member

awesome advice, nice to know this is an active forum, cheers guys.

8. st420

st420 Member

@ logiks

i know what you mean, since i started producing i have no time for anything else. once you get going you can spend hours at your computer playing with sound

9. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

10. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

can anyone tell me how i can make a drum beat similar to that in noisia - block control? cant quite work out how it gets that shuffling sound to it. or does anyone have any break mp3s/wavs with similar that they can gime a link to, so i can chop it up and have a look? cant work out if its another snare/ghost snare/rimshot/shaker etc. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

11. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

it's a pity nobody already said this.
    Shift drum hits in time to left or right (mostly right), I'll upload an example. without, and with suffle.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yywrwa
    just when the cymbal comes in, is where the shuffle starts happening, you can really tell it's there because the ghost snares are shifted a few milisecs to the right ;)