How to create a nice sub that goes with an LFO?

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
It is like this, I know how to make a decent subbass for Drum & Bass, but when using this techniques in Dubstep it goes all wrong. I mean, I've got some good subbasses on my Dubstep tracks, but always struggle to get them right.

It's all because off the LFO I think, when I throw on the LFO I don't get the wobble as the low-mid/mid/high parts of the bass. On an E note it would sound good, but when playing an F note on the same patch it sounds bad. Some notes the wobble gets to intense and the bass gets to loud, other notes are barely heard. How would you fix that?

or apply the lfo to the volume rather than the cut off, cut off wont work because of the different frequencies the sine is in. with resampling the E you will get faster and slower wobbles, but with volume you could make them all the same.

hope that helps ;)

Just wanted to concur with the above poster, lfo mods on Dubstep basses are primarily done w/amplitude modualtion(volume)....you should be good to go now!!:)

or getting the LFO sent to the cutoff of the very end filter.
I mean, that filter has to be the last one.

In dubstep there's nothing written down yet, only for the rythms, is a very fresh style, so try new things...
Always keep in mind that compression is a very good friend to mantaing wobbles controled ;)

or getting the LFO sent to the cutoff of the very end filter.
I mean, that filter has to be the last one.

In dubstep there's nothing written down yet, only for the rythms, is a very fresh style, so try new things...
Always keep in mind that compression is a very good friend to mantaing wobbles controled ;)

Most of the time my LP filter is the latest in the chain, so that's not the problem mate.

+ one for lfo to amplitude mod. If you can set the lfo so the effect fades in that sounds cool as well.

Ps: not just for dubstep, I reckon it works for dnb if you want long notes that don't sound too overpowering or tiring.

Back
Top Bottom