How to clean up film samples?

1-type

can anyone tell me how to clean up the film samples i use for tunes, i usually take them from moviewavs, then use goldwave to reduce hum n hiss but if i use it to much it effects the vocals, n i still get a slight hum n hiss in the background that i cant seem to remove, can anyone help?

you can get noise remover plug-ins which are quite useful, but i generally find EQing with a very narrow band and sweeping through the frequencies till the hum goes works best

The thing is that any hiss removal will decrease the quality of the rest of the sample - as said, you can't polish a turd. Rip the sample again.

I know what you mean with how to clean them up..

And sometimes the movie was just in bad quality..

The thing i do.. is just EQ them,.. and put a little reverb on them... so the hissing gets at least a 'nice' sound. and let the sample fade in... and slowly fade out.. so you dont really get surprised by the bad quality of the sample....

Maybe you cant 'polish' a turd... but that doesn't mean you can't use the turd :)

get a program called 'dvd audio extractor'

u can save wavs for each of the dolby channels.... take the middle one for the vocals then it just needs a little touch up ere n there! digital quality samples!

Could you imagine how shit those turd samples from the t'internet would sound when you come to play the tune on anything louder than bedroom monitors! Yuk Yuk Yuk..I wanna puke.

Come on guys - there's bedroom/home producing and there's bedroom/home production i.e. shit that will never ever work.

Thank god mrdfx has got the right idea.

If you need clean out noises from a sample then try scooping out some frequencies with narrow band EQin. If your cleaning it because it's shit quality though, then just don't bother. If its voices your after you'll generally want to boost mid frequencies aswell, since human voices are in this frequency range. Obviously the actual frequencies vary depending on the voice, but have a play around. Use a wide band when boosting frequencies if you want to retain a "real" sound. Using narrow band on EQ peaks can make the voice sound artificial.

Another thing, you can grab audio using VLC media player from any media source, using the "stream/save" function in the open dialog. VLC is free aswell. I use it for grabbing entire audio from films then cut out sections i might use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom