HOW TO BASSLINE Thread

@Bassik_SB

It's pretty simple.
Two ways I went about it were:
1- detune a few squares and then lowpass very low down, turn up stereo width too, then highpass and add in clean sub
2- work additively- Start with clean sine sub, then add detuned sines at second harmonic (3 times frequency ratio), fourth harmonic (5 times frequency ratio), maybe sixth harmonic too.
Then you can detune and pan all the harmonics separately to

Maybe add very subtle saturation after all that, but mostly it's just good mixing.

want to learn to make new basslines suitable for liquid drum and bass, different styles all welcome. using fl studio and mainly refx nexus for bass but want to start learning how to create my own basslines and expand my knowledge of synthesisers a lot more. any help much appreciated...

keep trying, also spreading above the fundamental helps in getting a more wide feeling to it.

subtle saturation to get some warmth and if you are fancy like me and need to always have sub, layer a clean sine underneath and cut the lows of the reese

keep trying, also spreading above the fundamental helps in getting a more wide feeling to it.

subtle saturation to get some warmth and if you are fancy like me and need to always have sub, layer a clean sine underneath and cut the lows of the reese

What do you mean by spreading above the fundamental Wingz? Is that to do with stereo width? And is the fundamental the most prominent frequency?

want to learn to make new basslines suitable for liquid drum and bass, different styles all welcome. using fl studio and mainly refx nexus for bass but want to start learning how to create my own basslines and expand my knowledge of synthesisers a lot more. any help much appreciated...
Start using Massive lots of basslines are made in that VST

What do you mean by spreading above the fundamental Wingz? Is that to do with stereo width? And is the fundamental the most prominent frequency?

yes, pretty much. say you have a lowpassed reese patch, you split it up from 0-100 and leave that mono and from 100 onwards you can introduce stereo widening effects, such as chorus and detuning to get a wider feel to it

the fundamental is the first peak of a note, i recommend you get a spectrum analyzer, like voxengo span, so you can take a look at what you're doing

wingz - quick q.. is there a reason you go just above the first fundamental? I usually stick to a rough blanket rule of a 24db cut at 250-300 for my stereo/mono effects divide.

So apply things like chrous etc to everything above 250-300Hz. Also if you were to change to the first fundamental would that not mean modulating the freq to suit the note?

wingz - quick q.. is there a reason you go just above the first fundamental? I usually stick to a rough blanket rule of a 24db cut at 250-300 for my stereo/mono effects divide.

So apply things like chrous etc to everything above 250-300Hz. Also if you were to change to the first fundamental would that not mean modulating the freq to suit the note?

i mono everything underneath 100hz, never had problems

Anyone know how to make something like this? I love the movement and growling swells. Similar to Andy C's Heartbeat Loud.
Sine wave reece in the very low end, then duplicate, distort one copy really heavily until it sounds horrible, then highpass that copy really high up (like 1000/2000Hz+). Maybe add some chorus or a sharp EQ/resonant filter peak on the high end, plus a little fairly dry reverb.

Most of these basslines can be found (Yes its true!If you know whr to look) not every producer is sitting there synthesizing basses from raw waveforms.Sampling and preset libaries rule.There is a reason libraries and archives exist and that is to be used!. Well if you are using massive there are a few preset packs that sound amazing and its a great way to learn synthesis too.But as we all might agree you want to be a producer not a synthesist. Well there is this one preset library for massive by Plasma Collaborative which is proper naughty and then there is one by Labsamples that is stinky too . Get your hands on them and enjoy your studio time a little. Let there be instant vibes instead of raw waveforms grinding your brain while trying for that 'legendary' neverdone before bassline.

Last edited:
Most of these basslines can be found (Yes its true!If you know whr to look) not every producer is sitting there synthesizing basses from raw waveforms.Sampling and preset libaries rule.There is a reason libraries and archives exist and that is to be used!. Well if you are using massive there are a few preset packs that sound amazing and its a great way to learn synthesis too.But as we all might agree you want to be a producer not a synthesist. Well there is this one preset library for massive by Plasma Collaborative which is proper naughty and then there is one by Labsamples that is stinky too . Get your hands on them and enjoy your studio time a little. Let there be instant vibes instead of raw waveforms grinding your brain while trying for that 'legendary' neverdone before bassline.

That's all well and good if you want to sound like someone else, but you're at risk of someone finding out that you've used samples and then looking a bit mediocre, plus this is just your opinion, plenty of people get a buzz off of synthesis, just because you don't doesn't make it boring.

Hello peeps. Thanks to everyone that has contributed here it's been a huge help.

I have a question though regarding Justin Todd's frequency splitting method that was linked in the early pages of this thread. The same question was asked a few times actually but never really got a proper response.

So I've set up a new project in Live and got the routing all sussed out. I now have 5 different audio samples on 5 different audio tracks. All routed to sends A/B/C (low/mid/high) these in turn are routed to D (Bass Master) So far so good I think, correct me if ive slipped up already here.

Is the idea now to arrange some sort of 4 bar bass loop using the 5 audio tracks as a sort of piano roll if you know what I mean?

So for example 808 on track 1 at the start of the first bar followed by a stab on track 2 just after followed by a reese on track 3 just after that etc.

Sorry if this has already been answered some where but I was reading for about 11 hours yesterday and couldn't find it.

Hey guys, please have a watch of our first production video. We go through how we made the main bass in our trackWarehouse, starting with creating the root sound and explaining each process used to create the final sound. This includes 'frequency splitting' which may interest new producers trying to understand this technique.

Please enjoy and any feedback is greatly appreciated as it is our first video!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to the channel to be the first to see our next video!

Cheers,

S9

Back
Top Bottom